Center Moriches, New York
Center Moriches, New York
U.S. Census Bureau map
|• Total||5.6 sq mi (14.6 km2)|
|• Land||5.2 sq mi (13.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|Elevation||26 ft (8 m)|
|• Density||1,300/sq mi (520/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0969982|
Center Moriches (// (listen) moh-RITCH-iz) is a hamlet (and census-designated place) in Suffolk County, New York, United States. The population was 7,580 at the 2010 census. Center Moriches is in the town of Brookhaven. It is the location of the historic Masury Estate Ballroom and Terry-Ketcham Inn, both listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The name Moriches comes from Meritces, a Native American who owned land on Moriches Neck.
Center Moriches is located at (40.797772, -72.797192).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 5.6 square miles (14.6 km2), of which 5.2 square miles (13.5 km2) is land and 0.42 square miles (1.1 km2), or 7.36%, is water.
Demographics for the CDP
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,655 people, 2,319 households, and 1,776 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,327.2 per square mile (512.9/km²). There were 2,465 housing units at an average density of 491.6/sq mi (190.0/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 90.02% White, 5.24% African American, 0.17% Native American, 0.99% Asian, 1.29% from other races, and 2.28% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.61% of the population.
There were 2,319 households out of which 36.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.7% were married couples living together, 9.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.4% were non-families. 17.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.83 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 25.1% under the age of 18, 7.0% from 18 to 24, 32.9% from 25 to 44, 22.8% from 45 to 64, and 12.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.1 males.
For 2016, the median income for a household in the CDP was $95,932. The per capita income for the CDP was $38,431. About 4.5% of families and 6.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.6% of those under age 18 and 9.7% of those age 65 or over.
The town has three schools: Clayton Huey Elementary School, Center Moriches Middle School, and Center Moriches High School. The middle school and high school are part of the same building.
Radio station WJVC at 96.1 FM is licensed to Center Moriches.
- Chester G. Osborne - American composer, American music educator, American writer, American trumpeter
- Linda Lovelace - Actor, Author
- Marvin Bell - First Poet laureate of Iowa
- Sue Wicks - Former WNBA player. WNBA Hall Of Famer
- Lily Palace - Known student at Center Moriches Middle School
- Bright, William (2004). Native American placenames of the United States. Norman: University of Oklahoma. p. 298. ISBN 0806135980. Retrieved 12 November 2014.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Center Moriches CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved 2012-12-24.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- The Indian Place-Names on Long Island and Islands Adjacent, with Their Probably Significations. Tooker, William Wallace. pp 144-145 
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Center Moriches, New York.|