Center Township, Clinton County, Indiana
Location of Center Township in Clinton County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||20.62 sq mi (53.4 km2)|
|• Land||20.62 sq mi (53.4 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||860 ft (262 m)|
|• Density||836.4/sq mi (322.9/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||453174|
Center Township is one of fourteen townships in Clinton County, Indiana. As of the 2010 census, its population was 17,245 and it contained 6,878 housing units. It contains the city of Frankfort, the county seat.
Center Township was created in 1872 from the northern part of Jackson Township; the northern part of Center was later split off to create Union Township in 1889. The first white settler in the township was George Michaels in 1827, followed the next year by John Douglass, Matthew Bunnell and Noah Bunnell. More arrived in 1829, including the three Pence brothers who donated the land upon which the city of Frankfort was built.
As the geographic and business center of the county, numerous railroad where laid through the township and included the Monon, the Vandalia, the Toledo, St. Louis and Western, the Terre Haute, Indianapolis and Eastern, and the Kokomo.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 20.62 square miles (53.4 km2), all land.
Cities and towns
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Union Township (north)
- Michigan Township (east)
- Kirklin Township (southeast)
- Jackson Township (south)
- Washington Township (west)
The township contains two cemeteries: Greenlawn Memorial Park and Old South.
- "Center Township, Clinton County, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- United States Census Bureau cartographic boundary files
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Claybaugh, Joseph (1913). "Center Township". History of Clinton County, Indiana. Indianapolis: A. W. Bowen & Company.