Center Township, Guernsey County, Ohio
|Center Township, Guernsey County, Ohio|
Location of Center Township in Guernsey County
|• Total||24.4 sq mi (63.1 km2)|
|• Land||24.2 sq mi (62.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||961 ft (293 m)|
|• Density||75/sq mi (28.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086179|
Center Township is one of the nineteen townships of Guernsey County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2010 census the population was 1,813, of whom 1,711 lived in the unincorporated portion of the township.
Located at the center of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Jefferson Township - north
- Wills Township - east
- Richland Township - southeast
- Jackson Township - southwest
- Cambridge Township - west
A portion of the village of Lore City is located in the southwest corner of Center Township, and the unincorporated community of Kipling lies in the southwestern part of the township. Leatherwood Creek, a tributary of Wills Creek and part of the Muskingum River watershed, flows through the southern part of the township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Center township, Guernsey County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 19, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Remainder of Center township, Center township, Guernsey County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 19, 2017.
- Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. Yarmouth, Me.: DeLorme. 1991. pp. 61, 71. ISBN 0-89933-233-1.
- Sarchet, Cyrus Parkinson Beatty (1911). History of Guernsey County, Ohio, Volume 1. B.F. Bowen & Company. p. 285.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.