Center for International Environmental Law
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
The Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL) is a public interest, not-for-profit environmental law firm founded in 1989 in the United States to strengthen international and comparative environmental law and policy around the world. With offices in Washington, DC and Geneva, Switzerland, CIEL’s staff of international attorneys provide legal counsel and advocacy, policy research and capacity building in the areas of biodiversity, chemicals, climate change, human rights and the environment, international financial institutions, law and communities, plastic, and trade and sustainable development. Carroll Muffett is the current president.
CIEL is incorporated as a U.S. nonprofit organization designated by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charity.
Areas of Focus
CIEL's work is divided into three programs: Climate & Energy; Environmental Health; and People, Land, and Resources.
The organization released a number of reports: Smoke and Fumes examined the oil and gas industry's efforts to fund the science and propaganda of climate denial, and is regularly cited in climate litigation against carbon majors. The organization's series Plastic and Climate, and Plastic and Health continues to be featured in publications that seek to explain the impact of the plastic crisis on health, climate, and the environment. Beginning in 2020, the organization released reports that examined the oil, gas, and petrochemical industry's attempts to use the COVID-19 pandemic for their own gain.
Internships and fellowships
- Canadian Environmental Law Association (CELA)
- East Coast Environmental Law
- West Coast Environmental Law
- Environmental Dispute Resolution Fund
- "Carroll Muffett". Center for International Environmental Law. Retrieved 2021-11-17.
- "Guidestar Profile for Center for International Environmental Law".
- "Smoke & Fumes". www.smokeandfumes.org. Retrieved 2020-12-05.
- "Plastic & Climate: The Hidden Costs of a Plastic Planet (May 2019)". Center for International Environmental Law. Retrieved 2020-12-05.
- "Plastic & Health: The Hidden Costs of a Plastic Planet (February 2019)". Center for International Environmental Law. Retrieved 2020-12-05.
- "Pandemic Crisis, Systemic Decline: Why Exploiting the COVID-19 Crisis Will Not Save the Oil, Gas, and Plastic Industries (April 2020)". Center for International Environmental Law. Retrieved 2020-12-05.
- "Jobs/Internships". Center for International Environmental Law. Retrieved 2020-12-05.