Institute of International Studies
An Institute of International Studies or Institute for International Studies is a type of research center that focuses on international studies, international relations, or area studies. It is often, though not always, part of a university or college where it is often affiliated with, and sometimes funded by, a university's public policy, public administration, or international relations school, a degree-granting institution. These centers may also provide geographic areas of specializations, offer internship or study-abroad opportunities, and/or give support services to university students.
One of the earliest centers for international studies was founded in 1935 at Yale University. The Yale Institute for International Studies sought to establish a central point of contact for teaching and research on international affairs, societies, and cultures. By the 1960s, it was renamed the Concilium on International and Area Studies, and later became the Yale Center for International and Area Studies. Some scholars felt that scholars at the institute conducted too much research as individuals rather than in groups. Eight of these scholars moved to Princeton University where they founded the Center of International Studies in 1951. Institutes similar to those at Yale and Princeton soon emerged in the 1950s at Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Montreal Centre for International Studies of the University of Montréal, Canada
- Munk Centre for International Studies of the University of Toronto, Canada
- Bandaranaike Centre for International Studies, Sri Lanka
- Institute for International Studies at University of Technology Sydney, Australia
- Danish Institute for International Studies, Denmark
- Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva, Switzerland
- International Centre for Policy Studies, Ukraine
- International Centre for Studies into Communism, Romania
- International Centre for Prison Studies of the University of Essex, UK
- International Center for Persian Studies, Iran
- Center for International Legal Studies, Austria
- Center for International and Regional Studies, Qatar
- Vidal Sassoon International Center for the Study of Antisemitism, Jerusalem, Israel
- Institute of International Relations Prague, Czech Republic
- "MacMillan Center expands commitment to graduate education with conference travel grants". Yale MacMillan Center.
- "History". Yale MacMillan Center.
- "International Studies, The Center of,". A Princeton Companion.