Center of excellence
A center of excellence (COE) is a team, a shared facility or an entity that provides leadership, best practices, research, support and/or training for a focus area.
Due to its broad usage and vague legal precedent, a "center of excellence" in one context may have completely different characteristics from another. The focus area might be a technology (e.g. Java), a business concept (e.g. BPM), a skill (e.g. negotiation) or a broad area of study (e.g. women's health). A center of excellence may also be aimed at revitalizing stalled initiatives. The term may also refer to a network of institutions collaborating with each other to pursue excellence in a particular area. (e.g. the Rochester Area Colleges Center for Excellence in Math and Science).
Within an organization, a center of excellence may refer to a group of people, a department or a shared facility. It may also be known as a competency center or a capability center. Stephen Jenner and Craig Kilford, in Management of Portfolios, mention COE as a coordinating function which ensures that change initiatives are delivered consistently and well, through standard processes and competent staff. In technology companies, the center of excellence concept is often associated with new software tools, technologies or associated business concepts such as Service-oriented architecture or business intelligence.
The European Centre of Excellence for Countering Hybrid Threats is a response to hybrid warfare.
In academic institutions, a center of excellence often refers to a team with a clear focus on a particular area of research; such a center may bring together faculty members from different disciplines and provide shared facilities.
In the Philippines, a center of excellence (COE) is a certification given by the Commission on Higher Education to departments within a higher education institution (e.g. a college within a university) which "continuously demonstrates excellent performance in the areas of instruction, research and publication, extension and linkages and institutional qualifications". Candidates for this certification are referred as centers of development (CODs) by the education body.
In Russia, the Center of Excellence status (in Russian it is used notion Leading scientific school) is granted by the Council for Grants of the President of the Russian Federation. To obtain the CoE status, a group of scientists, usually based on a department at a university or a laboratory at an academic institute, and its leader should have a high scientific reputation and should submit an application, which presents a plan of scientific and educational work for the period of two years, the Council. The Council issues a special certificate of the CoE status to the leader of the group.
United States Army
- Army Acquisition CoE - Huntsville AL
- Aviation CoE - (its CDID), - Fort Rucker AL
- Cyber CoE - (its CDID and Battle Lab), Fort Gordon GA
- Fires CoE - (its CDID and Battle Lab), Fort Sill OK
- Health Readiness CoE - Joint Base San Antonio TX
- Human Resource CoE - Fort Knox KY
- Initial Military Training CoE - Fort Eustis VA
- Intelligence CoE - (its CDID), Fort Huachuca AZ
- Maneuver CoE - (its CDID and Battle Lab), Fort Benning GA
- Maneuver Support CoE - (its CDID and Battle Lab), Fort Leonard Wood MO
- Mission Command CoE  - (its CDID  and Battle Lab), Fort Leavenworth KS
- NCO Leadership CoE - Fort Bliss TX
- Special operations CoE - Fort Bragg NC
- Sustainment CoE - (its CDID), Fort Lee VA
- Mark O. George (2010). The lean six sigma guide to doing more with less. John Wiley and Sons. p. 261. ISBN 978-0-470-53957-6.
- Tarek M. Khalil; L. A. Lefebvre; Robert McSpadden Mason (13 August 2001). Management of technology: the key to prosperity in the third millennium : selected papers from the ninth International Conference on Management of Technology. Emerald Group Publishing. p. 164. ISBN 978-0-08-043997-6. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- Stephen Jenner; Craig Kilford; Office of Government Commerce (January 2011). Management of Portfolios. The Stationery Office. ISBN 978-0-11-331294-8.
- Eric A. Marks (2008). Service-oriented architecture governance for the services driven enterprise. John Wiley & Sons. p. 271. ISBN 978-0-470-17125-7.
- James A. Obrien. Management Information Systems (Special Indian ed.). McGraw-Hill Education (India). p. 315. ISBN 978-0-07-062003-2.
- National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Materials Science and Engineering: Forging Stronger Links to Users (2000). Materials science and engineering: forging stronger links to users. National Academies Press. p. 139. ISBN 978-0-309-06826-0.
- "Centers of Excellence and Centers of Development (COES&CODS)". Commission on Higher Education. Retrieved 31 May 2019.
- the Council for Grants of the President of the Russian Federation
- Farmer, Paul. 2001. The Major Infectious Diseases in the World -- To Treat or Not to Treat? N Engl J Med 345 (3): 209
- Army Acquisition Center of Excellence
- Aviation CoE - (its CDID)
- Cyber CoE - (its CDID)
- Fires CoE - (its CDID and Battle Lab)
- Tammy Griswold, Quality Assurance Officer, HCRoE (May 2, 2019) Rigor by Design: The HRCoE defines rigor, infuses new standards in training The U.S. Army Medical Department Center and School, Health Readiness Center of Excellence
- "Human resource center opens at Fort Knox". Louisville Business First.
- Army Initial Military Training Center of Excellence holds change of responsibility
- Intelligence CoE - no information on its CDID
- Maneuver CoE - (its CDID and Battle Lab)
- "Maneuver Support CoE - (its CDID and Battle Lab)" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-02-09. Retrieved 2019-05-25.
- Mission Command Center of Excellence (MCCoE)
- Randi Stenson, Mission Command Center of Excellence Public Affairs (1 May 2018)
- Mission Command Center Of Excellence (MC-CoE CDID) Army Joint Support Team realigns under Mission Command CoE
- TRADOC Analysis Center. Combined Arms training center. Fort Leavenworth
- Mission Command Battle Lab,
- NCO LEADERSHIP CENTER OF EXCELLENCE
- U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School
- Sustainment CoE
- TRADOC home page accessdate=2019-05-26
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Centers of Excellence.|
- Homeland Security Centers of Excellence
- Center for Excellence in Disaster Management and Humanitarian Assistance, U.S. Pacific Command
- Rochester Area Colleges Center for Excellence in Math and Science
- Jane Goodall Center for Excellence in Environmental Studies
- Center of Excellence for Stability Police Units
- US Army Sustainment Center of Excellence
- European Centre of Excellence for Countering Hybrid Threats
- Institute of Air Navigation Services (IANS) – ATM training and e-learning