Center on Global Energy Policy
On April 24, 2013 the Center for Global Energy Policy was founded within Columbia's School of International and Public Affairs. The launch event filled Columbia's historic Low Library where mayor Michael Bloomberg spoke about how “New York is where the energy future is taking place”. The Director, Jason Bordoff, a professor of professional practice and a former special assistant to President Barack Obama, said he "hoped that the center will break new ground in energy research."
The Center’s research agenda emphasizes an economic and geostrategic approach to key energy policy areas. Current research programs encompass a wide variety of specific studies and topics, focused both on U.S. policy and specific regions around the world.
Current Members of the Advisory Board
The center has a large international advisory board. Members include:
- Nick Beim, Partner at Venrock
- Thomas E. Donilon, Distinguished Fellow at Council on Foreign Relations and former National Security Advisor
- Reid Hoffman, Co-Founder and Executive Chairman, LinkedIn, Partner, Greylock Partners
- Dr. Paul Joskow, President of the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
- Lady Barbara Judge, Chair of the Energy Institute at University College, London
- John Knight, Executive Vice President at Statoil
- General (Ret.) Stanley A. McChrystal, Co-Founder and Partner at McChrystal Group LLC and former commander, International Security Assistance Force
- Dr. Edward L. Morse, Managing Director, Global Head of Commodities at Citi
- Joel Moser, Founding Chief Executive Officer, AQM Capital LLC and former Partner and Head, Energy & Infrastructure Group at Kaye Scholer
- Daniel Poneman, former Deputy Secretary at the U.S. Department of Energy
- Steven Rattner, Chairman at Willett Advisors LLC and former lead adviser to the Presidential Task Force on the Auto Industry
- Theodore Roosevelt IV, Managing Director, Investment Banking at Barclays
- Zachary Schreiber, Chairman and Chief Investment Officer, PointState Capital
- Mona Sutphen, Partner at Macro Advisory Partners LLP and former White House Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy
- Susan Tierney, Managing Principal at Analysis Group and former Assistant Secretary of Energy for Policy at the U.S. Department of Energy
- Michael D. Tusiani, Chairman at Poten & Partners
- Bill White, Chairman at Lazard Houston and former Mayor of Houston, Texas
- Dr. Daniel Yergin, Vice Chairman at IHS and author of The Prize and The Quest
- Cathy Zoi, Consulting Professor at Stanford University and former Assistant Secretary for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy at the U.S. Department of Energy
- "Energy and Environment". columbia.edu. Columbia University. n.d. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- "Jason Bordoff". columbia.edu. Columbia University. n.d. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- Anderson, Jared (April 25, 2013). "Mayor Bloomberg Speaks at Columbia University Center on Global Energy Policy Launch". breakingenergy.com. Breaking Media, Inc. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- McGowan, Josephine (August 25, 2014). "SIPA launches global energy policy center". columbiaspectator.com. Spectator Publishing Company. Retrieved November 29, 2017.
- "Advisory Board". columbia.edu. Columbia University. n.d. Retrieved November 29, 2017.