Ministry of AYUSH
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy, abbreviated as AYUSH, is a governmental body in India purposed with developing, education and research in ayurveda (Indian traditional medicine), yoga, naturopathy, unani, siddha, homoeopathy, Sowa Rigpa  (Traditional Tibetan medicine), and other Indigenous Medicine systems.
It was created in March 1995 as the Department of Indian Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy (ISM&H). AYUSH received its current name in March 2003. That time it was operated under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
The Ministry of AYUSH was formed with effect from 9 November 2014 by elevation of the Department of AYUSH.
The Indian Government has decided to introduce International Yoga Award Scheme. The award will be introduced with an aim to promote yoga. At present, the AYUSH ministry is working on the scheme and it will start giving the award from 2017. 
Bodies under AYUSH
Bodies under the control of the Department of AYUSH are:
- Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Science(CCRAS)
- Central Council for Research in Siddha Medicine (CCRS)
- Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine (CCRUM)
- Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy Medicine(CCRH)
- Central Council for Research in Yoga and Naturopathy Medicine (CCRYN)
- Pharmacopoeial Laboratory for Indian Medicine (PLIM)
- Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia Laboratory (HPL)
National Institutes (Education in Indian Medicine):
- National Institute of Ayurveda, Jaipur (NIA)
- National Institute of Siddha, Chennai (NIS)
- National Institute of Homoeopathy, Kolkata (NIH)
- National Institute of Naturopathy, Pune (NIN)
- National Institute of Unani Medicine, Banglore (NIUM)
- Institute of Post Graduate Teaching and Research in Ayurveda Medicine, Jamnagar, Gujarat (IPGTR)
- Rashtriya Ayurveda Vidyapeeth(National Ayurveda University), New Delhi (RAV)
- Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga Science, New Delhi (MDNIY)
- Union Minister of State for Ayush Shripad Yesso Naik has formally inaugurated the North Eastern Institute of Ayurveda and Homeopathy (NEIAH) as an autonomous Institute under Ministry of AYUSH at Shillong. The institute is the second Ayurvedic College in the North East Region with a Homeopathy college and the only Central Academic Institute of Ministry of AYUSH
- All India Institute of Ayurveda, Delhi, AIIA, was established in 2016 as an autonomous institute under Ministry of AYUSH.
Central Council of Sowarigpa (Tibetan) Medicine (CCTM) Central Council of Naturopathy Medicine(CCNM)
- Traditional Knowledge Digital Library (TKDL): A collaboration with the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), set up in 2001, to prevent grant of "bed" patents on traditional knowledge and biopiracy. The digital library is being developed on codified traditional knowledge on Indian systems of medicines such as Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha and Yoga. Nearly 805,000 Ayurvedic formulations, 98,700 Unani formulations, and 9,970 Sidha formulations have been transcribed in patent application format in five languages: English, French, German, Spanish and Japanese.
- Indian Medicine Pharmaceutical Corporation Limited (IMPCL), Mohan, Uttaranchal (a public sector undertaking)
- The Cabinet gave its nod to the agreement for collaborative activities to be signed in the area of traditional medicine between the AYUSH Ministry and the World Health Organization in Geneva.
While there is now a consensus among the scientific community that homeopathy is nothing more than placebo, India continues to pursue the belief, officially as well. Some argue that India is a developing nation and can barely afford to waste taxpayers' money. Although, others pointed out that research could at-least remove toxic elements from the already existing traditional systems.
- AYUSH. Accessed 7 August 2014.
- "Research councils". AYUSH website.
- "National Institutes". AYUSH website. Archived from the original on 25 November 2013.
- "Know Instances of Patenting on the UES of Medicinal Plants in India". PIB, Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India. May 6, 2010. Retrieved 21 May 2010.
- "Cabinet nod to pact between AYUSH, WHO". www.dailypioneer.com. Retrieved 2016-04-27.
- Krishnan, Vidya. "AYUSH Ministry rails against global study on homeopathy". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-05-24.
- "India's govt not only believes in homeopathy, it spends money on it". www.dailyo.in. Retrieved 2017-05-24.
- Mukunth, Vasudevan. "After BGR-34, Ministry of AYUSH Pushes #Homeopathy4Diabetes". thewire.in. Retrieved 2017-05-24.