Ministry of AYUSH
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Ministry of AYUSH was formed with effect from 9 November 2014 by elevation of the The Department of AYUSH.
The Department of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy, abbreviated as AYUSH, is a governmental body in India purposed with developing education and research in ayurveda (Indian traditional medicine), yoga, naturopathy, unani, siddha, and homoeopathy, and other alternative medicine systems. The department was created in March 1995 as the Department of Indian Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy (ISM&H). AYUSH received its current name in March 2003. That time it was operated under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. The Bharatiya Janata Party, in its election manifesto, said it would increase public investment to promote AYUSH and start integrated courses for Indian system of medicines and modern science.
Bodies under AYUSH
Bodies under the control of the Department of AYUSH are:
- Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS)
- Central Council for Research in Siddha (CCRS)
- Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine (CCRUM)
- Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy (CCRH)
- Central Council for Research in Yoga and Naturopathy (CCRYN)
- Pharmacopoeial Laboratory for Indian Medicine (PLIM)
- Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia Laboratory (HPL)
National Institutes (Education in Indian Medicine):
- National Institute of Ayurveda, Jaipur (NIA)
- National Institute of Siddha, Chennai (NIS)
- National Institute of Homoeopathy, Kolkata (NIH)
- National Institute of Naturopathy, Pune (NIN)
- National Institute of Unani Medicine, Bangalore (NIUM)
- Institute of Post Graduate Teaching and Research in Ayurveda, Jamnagar, Gujarat (IPGTR)
- Rashtriya Ayurveda Vidyapeeth, New Delhi (RAV)
- Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga, New Delhi (MDNIY)
- Central Council of Homoeopathy (CCH)
- Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM)
- Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission
- Traditional Knowledge Digital Library (TKDL): A collaboration with the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), set up in 2001, to prevent grant of "bed" patents on traditional knowledge and biopiracy. The digital library is being developed on codified traditional knowledge on Indian systems of medicines such as Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha and Yoga. Nearly 805,000 Ayurvedic formulations, 98,700 Unani formulations, and 9,970 Sidha formulations have been transcribed in patent application format in five languages: English, French, German, Spanish and Japanese.
- Indian Medicine Pharmaceutical Corporation Limited (IMPCL), Mohan, Uttaranchal (a public sector undertaking)
- The Cabinet gave its nod to the agreement for collaborative activities to be signed in the area of traditional medicine between the AYUSH Ministry and the World Health Organization in Geneva.
Department of AYUSH, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India has launched National AYUSH Mission (NAM) during 12th Plan for implementing through States/UTs. The basic objective of NAM is to promote AYUSH medical systems through cost effective AYUSH services, strengthening of educational systems, facilitate the enforcement of quality control of Ayurveda, Siddha and Unani & Homoeopathy (ASU &H) drugs and sustainable availability of ASU & H raw-materials. It envisages flexibility of implementation of the programmes which will lead to substantial participation of the State Governments/UT. The NAM contemplates establishment of a National Mission as well as corresponding Missions in the State level. NAM is likely to improve significantly the Department’s outreach in terms of planning, supervision and monitoring of the schemes.
- AYUSH. Accessed 7 August 2014.
- "Research councils". AYUSH website.
- "National Institutes". AYUSH website.
- "Know Instances of Patenting on the UES of Medicinal Plants in India". PIB, Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India. May 6, 2010. Retrieved 21 May 2010.
- "Cabinet nod to pact between AYUSH, WHO". www.dailypioneer.com. Retrieved 2016-04-27.