Central High School (Knoxville, Tennessee)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Central High School|
5321 Jacksboro PK|
Knoxville, Tennessee 37918
|Number of students||1,128 (2014-15)|
|Color(s)||Red and black|
Central High School is a public high school located at 5321 Jacksboro Pike in the Fountain City neighborhood of Knoxville, Tennessee, operated by the Knox County school system. The school's athletic teams are nicknamed the Bobcats, and its colors are red and black.
Central was formerly located at what is now Gresham Middle School in the heart of Fountain City, which, in the 1960s, was the largest unincorporated community in Tennessee. Its name is something of a misnomer, because it was never located near the center of Knoxville, even when Fountain City was annexed into Knoxville in the early 1960s. The northernmost high school in Knoxville before the annexation of Fountain City was Fulton, and in the county, Powell, Karns, and Halls high schools were farther north.
On August 21, 2008, 15-year-old student Jamar Siler entered the school cafeteria and approached student Ryan McDonald sitting at a lunch table. Siler fatally shot McDonald, and was arrested by authorities a short time later. The two had been in previous altercations, the details of which were not released to the general public. Siler was then taken into custody.
Siler was initially tried as a juvenile until Tim Irwin, Juvenile Court judge, ordered that he be tried as an adult. In November 2011, at age 18, Siler pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and received a 30-year sentence.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Sean Oliver, Wise Guy
- Roy Acuff, country music star
- Kelsea Ballerini, country music singer
- Trevor Bayne, NASCAR driver who won the 2011 Daytona 500
- Ashley Capps, founder of AC Entertainment
- Reggie Cobb, former Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back
- Tony Cosey, Olympic steeplechase runner
- Nikki Creswell, actress; played "Cassie" in The Dollmaker
- Todd Helton, professional baseball player
- Frankie Housley, heroic flight attendant
- Tim Irwin, former Minnesota Vikings lineman, former University of Tennessee lineman, Judge of Juvenile Court, Knox County, Tennessee
- Beulah Duggan Linn, Sevier County, Tennessee Historian
- Terrence Scott, British Columbia Lions football player
- Steve Searcy, professional baseball player
- Bill Snyder, Chancellor of University of Tennessee-Knoxville (1992-1999) and house organist at the Tennessee Theater
- Jennifer Tipton, Tony Award winning lighting designer
- Bubba Trammell, professional baseball player
- Richard Aaker Trythall, pianist and composer
- Scott Holtzman, UFC Lightweight Fighter
- "Central High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved October 5, 2017.
- Archived coverage of the shooting on Thursday, August 21, 2008, at Central High School, Knoxville News Sentinel
- "Tony Cosey," USA Track and Field. Retrieved: 11 October 2013.
- "Sevier County - Entries - Tennessee Encyclopedia". tennesseeencyclopedia.net.
- Dunlap, Darren (September 27, 2008), "Lighting designer takes center stage: Tipton, former Knoxvillian, wins a MacArthur Fellowship", Knoxville News Sentinel