Central Information Commission
|Kendriya Soochna Ayog|
|Formed||12 October 2005|
|Annual budget||₹25.1935 crore (US$3.5 million) (2015–16)|
The Central Information Commission is a statutory body, set up under the Right to Information Act in 2005 under the Government of India to act upon complaints from those individuals who have not been able to submit information requests to a Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer due to either the officer not have been appointed, or because the respective Central Assistant Public Information Officer or State Assistant Public Information Officer refused to receive the application for information under the Right to Information Act.
The commission includes one chief information commissioner and not more than ten information commissioners who are appointed by the President of India on the recommendation of a committee consisting of the Prime Minister as Chairperson, the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha and a Union Cabinet Minister to be nominated by the Prime Minister. Two women have been chief information commissioners: Deepak Sandhu (fourth chief information commissioner overall) and Sushma Singh (fifth overall).
Chief Information Commissioners
The following have held the post of the chief Information Commissioners.
|No.||Name||Took office||Left office|
|1||Wajahat Habibullah||26 October 2005||19 September 2010|
|2||A. N. Tiwari||30 September 2010||18 December 2010|
|3||Satyananda Mishra||19 December 2010||4 September 2013|
|4||Deepak Sandhu||5 September 2013||18 December 2013|
|5||Sushma Singh||19 December 2013||21 May 2014|
|6||Rajiv Mathur||22 May 2014||22 August 2014|
|7||Vijai Sharma||10 June 2015||1 December 2015|
|8||Radha Krishna Mathur||4 January 2016||24 November 2018|
|9||Sudhir Bhargava||1 January 2019||11 January 2020|
|10||Bimal Julka||6 March 2020||26 August 2020|
|11||Yashvardhan Kumar Sinha||31 October 2020||Till Now|
- "Introduction". Central Information Commission. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- "Annual Report for 2015–16" (PDF). Central Information Commission. p. 23. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- "CIC Annual Report 2005-06" (PDF). p. 14. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 January 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- Central Information Commission, Government of India. "Powers and functions of the information commissions". Primary source. Central Information Commission, Government of India. Archived from the original on 3 March 2011. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- "Shri Yashvardhan Kumar Sinha | Central Information Commission". cic.gov.in. Retrieved 31 October 2020.