Central Jail Faisalabad
An outer view of Administrative Block of Central Jail Faisalabad, Pakistan in October 2011
|Coordinates||Central Jail Faisalabad, Pakistan.|
|Population||3346 (as of 17 August 2017)|
|Opened||1 July 1971|
|Managed by||Government of the Punjab, Home Department|
|Director||Asad Javed Warraich, Superintendent of Jail|
The jail was built in 1967 and formally inaugurated on 1st day of July 1971. It was constructed with a view to confine long-term prisoners of Faisalabad Region (except Mianwali and adjoining districts) and to function as Headquarter Jail for subordinate Jail staffers of the region. After creation of four regions of jails in the province of Punjab stationed at Lahore, Rawalpindi, Multan and Faisalabad, the role of Headquarter Jail has been shifted from the Superintendent of Central / Headquarter Jail Faisalabad to the regional Deputy Inspector General of Prisons in the year 2004.
A scheme for construction of Family Rooms, an entirely new concept in Pakistan, for long-term convicted prisoners at larger jails including Central Jail Faisalabad was initiated in the year 2006. After completion of these Family Rooms, the prisoners sentenced to life imprisonment and other long-term inmates will be facilitated to keep their wives with them for three days once in every quarter of a year. The facility shall be provided subject to verification of the good conduct of the prisoner and their family members by the jail authorities, the District administration and the concerned police.
The following prison industries are functioning in the jail to train the convicted prisoners in various trades and handicrafts so that they could earn their living after release form Jail, utilise prison labour in profitable works for benefit of state exchequer, and keep the prisoners busy in useful tasks.
- Jail Warder Uniform Tailoring / Stitching Unit
- Prisoner Chadar Weaving Unit
- Hospital Bed Sheet Weaving Unit
- Hospital Patients' Blanket Weaving Unit
- Carpet Knitting Unit
- Phenyle Manufacturing Unit
The total number of convicted prisoner is 1,826. Condemned prisoners 428(sentenced to death). Out of remaining 1,082 under trial prisoners, 682 have been employed in the Jail factory.
A convicted prisoner trained as a weaver during confinement weaving a red blanket used in Jail Hospitals on a traditional manual loom in 2010.
Convicted prisoners learning the art of tailoring and stitching the clothes during confinement
Convicted prisoners busy in knitting Persian designs' carpets in the carpet industry of the jail in 2010
Correctional Activities in Central Jail Faisalabad, Pakistan in 2010 - Convicted prisoners working on a traditional manual Charkha
- Government of Punjab, Pakistan
- Headquarter Jail
- National Academy for Prisons Administration
- Prison Officer
- Punjab Prisons (Pakistan)
- Punjab Prisons Staff Training Institute
- Official Website of Punjab Prisons (Pakistan) Archived 26 March 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Photos of the World". Panoramio. Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- Quoted from Building File of Central Jail Faisalabad.
-  Archived 29 November 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- Record of Manufacturing Jails maintained at the Industry Branch of the Inspectorate General of Prisons, Punjab, Lahore under superivision of A.I.G (Prison Industries).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Central Jail Faisalabad.|