Central Library, IIT, Bombay
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Central Library is one of the central support services of IIT Bombay.The mission of the Library is to provide information services and access to bibliographic and full text digital and printed resources in order to support the scholarly and informational needs of the students, faculty and staff at the Institute Community.
The library occupies an independent five-storey building,
the library offers circulating books, and also a bookbank of textbooks for loan to students whose parent’s income falls below the taxable limit.
The library maintains Inter-library loan relations with a number of institutions and libraries including IITs, BARC, NITIE, NCST, IISc, IIG, TIFR, IGIDR, TISS and NICT for exchange of books, journals, photocopies and videocassette
The Library receives 450 print periodicals. Apart from this it has books and theses and dissertations, standards and reports, pamphlets which are approximately 5 lakhs. There are 1000 CDs and 231 DVDs. The Central Library provides web-based access to over 450 books, 12,000 full text journals and 10 databases 24 x 7 on institute-wide network as per the following details.
The IIT Bombay Institutional repository is an electronic collection of research produced at IITB, including full-text book chapters, conference/proceeding papers,technical reports, journal pre prints & post-prints, working papers, Patents and annual reports.
The Library supports the electronic submission of theses and dissertations by postgraduate and doctoral students. During 2011-12, 899 M. Tech dissertations and 157 Ph.D. Theses were submitted via this system.
Th D. Jotwani is the current Chief librarian.
- Annual Report of IIT Bombay Library Annual Report of ITT Bombay Library 2010-11
- Annual Report of IIT Bombay Library[permanent dead link] Annual Report of ITT Bombay Library 2009-10
- Annual Report of IIT Bombay Library[permanent dead link] Annual Report of ITT Bombay Library 2008-09
- Ganpule S. R. and Waydande H. S.“Computerization of IIT Bombay Central Library: Cost Benefit Approach” IN CURRENT TRENDS IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY: IMPACT ON INFORMATION SCIENCE IN INDIA ed by Kuldeep Chand., Society for Information Science, New Delhi.,1993, p.
- Ghosh, Maitraiee. “Digital Infrastructure and attitude towards access and sharing: A case study of Selected Engineering Libraries in the Maharashtra State of India.” International Information and Library Review 41, no.2(2009),
- Jadhav, Mahendra N. and Bamane, Niranjana J. “Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETD): An initiative at Central Library, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. Available at: http://docs.ndltd.org:8080/dspace/bitstream/2340/208/1/1074244208-text.pdf[permanent dead link]
- Jadhav, Mahendra N. and Kulkarni, Shobha Electronic Security: A case study of IIT Bombay Central Library. Available at http://ir.inflibnet.ac.in/dxml/bitstream/handle/1944/181/03cali_12.pdf?sequence=2[permanent dead link]
- Jotwani, Daulat (2005). Library portal – a knowledge management tool. In Multilingual computing and information management in networked
- digital environment. ed. Murthy T.A.V. et al. (pp. 612–620). Ahmedabad: Inflibnet Centre.