Central Military District
|Central Military District
Центральный военный округ
Emblem of the Central Military District
|Founded||October 21, 2010|
|Part of||Russian Armed Forces|
|Decorations||Order of the Red Banner|
The Central Military District (Russian: Центральный военный округ) is one of Russia's Military Districts. The district was formed in Presidential Decree №1144 signed on September 20, 2010. The district includes the territories of the former Siberian Military District. Until 2010, Colonel General Vladimir Chirkin was the district commander with Lieutenant General Sergei Surovikin acting as the district chief of staff. From the next year onward the district was headed by now General of the Army Valery Gerasimov and later by Major General Aleksandr Dvornikov. Colonel General Nikolai Bordanovskiy commanded the district until 2014, when Colonel General Vladimir Zarudnitsky took command.
In June 2015, Leslie H. Gelb wrote that the role of the Central Military District is to "orchestrate Russian engagement in local conflicts within Central Asia, to manage Russia’s bases in Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan, and to supply reinforcements from its two armies either to the east or the west in the event of war" and that their purpose is to "forestall instability that might spill over into Russia and to remind everyone that Russia’s forces in the region are mightier than China’s".
Russian Ground Forces
- 2nd Guards Combined Arms Army (HQ Samara)
- 41st Combined Arms Army (HQ Novosibirsk)
- 90th Guards Tank Division (Chebarkul)
- 12th Independent Guards Engineer Brigade (Ufa)
- 18th Electronic Warfare Brigade (Yekaterinburg)
- 29th Independent Chemical Defense Brigade (Yekaterinburg)
- 179th Communications Brigade (Yekaterinburg)
- 201st Military Base (Dushanbe)
- 3rd Guards Spetsnaz Brigade (Tolyatti)
- 24th Spetsnaz Brigade (Novosibirsk)
- 473rd District Training Center
Russian Airborne Troops
Russian Air Force
- Указ Президента Российской Федерации от 20 сентября 2010 года № 1144 «О военно-административном делении Российской Федерации» Archived 2012-03-31 at the Wayback Machine.
- Ivanov, Ivan (9 February 2016). "Приказ быстро построиться" [Order to quickly build]. Rossiskaya Gazeta (in Russian). Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- Russia and America: Toward a New Détente, National Interest, p. 5
- Galeotti 2017, p. 30.
- Dorofeyev, Viktor (18 October 2016). "Шойгу оставил Екатеринбург без генералитета" [Shoigu left Yekaterinburg without generals] (in Russian). URA.RU. Retrieved 14 January 2017.
- Michael Holm, 24th independent Special Forces Brigade, accessed January 2014.
- Belousov, Yury (21 May 2017). "Еланская школа профессионализма" [Yelanskaya Professional School]. Krasnaya Zvezda (in Russian). Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- Galeotti, Mark (2017). The Modern Russian Army 1992–2016. Elite 217. Oxford: Osprey. ISBN 978-1-47281-908-6.