Central Park 5 (miniseries)
|Central Park 5|
|Created by||Ava DuVernay|
|Directed by||Ava DuVernay|
|Country of origin||United States|
Central Park 5 is an upcoming American drama web television miniseries created by Ava DuVernay that is set to premiere in 2019 on Netflix. DuVernay also serves as a writer for the series and is expected to direct every episode. The series documents the famous Central Park jogger case from 1989 in which a jogger was attacked in Central Park in New York City. In that case, five juvenile males were subsequently convicted of the crime before being exonerated in 2002. The series is set to feature an ensemble cast including Jovan Adepo, Chris Chalk, Michael K. Williams, Vera Farmiga, John Leguizamo, Felicity Huffman, Niecy Nash, Aunjanue Ellis, Kylie Bunbury, and Storm Reid.
Central Park 5 extends "from 1989 when five Harlem teens were incorrectly convicted first in the media and then twice in the courts for the brutal rape of a jogger in the NYC park to 2014 when Antron McCray, Kevin Richardson, Yusef Salaam, Raymond Santana and Korey Wise saw their names finally cleared. Having been vilified by the likes of Donald Trump back in the late 80s and forced to spend years in jail each, the five sued New York City and settled for just over $40 million about four years ago. Before you take another breath, take into account that sum that works out to around $1 million for every year they collectively spent tossed behind bars for a terrible crime they never committed."
Cast and characters
- Jharrel Jerome as Korey Wise
- Jovan Adepo as Antron McCray
- Caleel Harris as Young Anton McCray
- Chris Chalk as Yusef Salaam
- Ethan Herisse as Young Yusef Salaam
- Freddy Miyares as Raymond Santana
- Marquis Rodriguez as Young Raymond Santana
- Justin Cunningham as Kevin Richardson
- Asante Blackk as Young Kevin Richardson
- Michael K. Williams as Bobby McCray
- Vera Farmiga as Elizabeth Lederer
- John Leguizamo as Raymond Santana Sr.
- Felicity Huffman as Linda Fairstein
- Niecy Nash as Delores Wise
- Aunjanue Ellis as Sharone Salaam
- Kylie Bunbury as Angie Richardson
- Marsha Stephanie Blake as Linda McCray
- Storm Reid as Lisa
- Joshua Jackson as Mickey Joseph
- Christopher Jackson as Peter Rivera
- Adepero Oduye as Nomsa Berth
- Omar Dorsey as Elombre Brath
- Blair Underwood
- Famke Janssen as Nancy Ryan
- William Sadler
- Aurora Perrineau
On July 6, 2017, it was announced that Netflix had given the production a series order consisting of five episodes. The series was created by Ava DuVernay who is also set to write and direct. Executive producers are expected to include DuVernay, Jeff Skoll, Jonathan King, Oprah Winfrey, Jane Rosenthal and Berry Welsh. Production companies involved with the series are set to include Participant Media, Harpo Films, and Tribeca Productions. On July 9, 2018, it was reported that the series would now consist of four episodes, Bradford Young would serve as the series' cinematographer, and that Robin Swicord, Attica Locke, and Michael Starrbury would cowrite each episode with DuVernay.
In July 2018, it was announced that Michael K. Williams, Vera Farmiga, John Leguizamo, Felicity Huffman, Jharrel Jerome, and Jovan Adepo had joined the series' main cast. On August 3, 2018, it was reported that Niecy Nash, Aunjanue Ellis, Kylie Bunbury, Marsha Stephanie Blake, and Storm Reid had been cast in supporting roles. A week later, it was announced that Chris Chalk, Ethan Herisse, Marquis Rodriguez, Caleel Harris, Freddy Miyares, Justin Cunningham and Asante Blackk had filled out the main cast as the titular Central Park 5, both as adults and as children. By the end of the month, it was reported that Joshua Jackson, Christopher Jackson, Adepero Oduye, Omar Dorsey, Blair Underwood, Famke Janssen, William Sadler, and Aurora Perrineau had also joined the cast.
Principal photography for the series began during the week of August 6, 2018 in New York City, New York. On August 10, 2018, filming took place on Madison Avenue in the East Harlem area of Manhattan.
- Patten, Dominic (July 9, 2018). "Ava DuVernay's 'Central Park Five' Casts Michael K. Williams, Vera Farmiga & John Leguizamo For Netflix Limited Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 9, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (July 6, 2017). "Ava DuVernay Teaming With Netflix On Central Park Five Limited Drama Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 10, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (July 25, 2018). "'Central Park Five': Felicity Huffman, Jharrel Jerome & Jovan Adepo Join Ava DuVernay's Netflix Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 25, 2018.
- Otterson, Joe (August 3, 2018). "'Wrinkle in Time' Star Storm Reid, Niecy Nash Among Five to Join Ava DuVernay's 'Central Park Five' Series". Variety. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (August 10, 2018). "'Central Park Five': Chris Chalk, Ethan Herisse Among 6 Male Leads Cast In Ava DuVernay's Netflix Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 10, 2018.
- Patten, Dominic (August 24, 2018). "Ava DuVernay's 'Central Park Five' Adds Joshua Jackson, 'Hamilton's Christopher Jackson, Adepero Oduye & More". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- "Friday, Aug 10 Filming Locations for This Is Us, The Boys, SVU, & more! - On Location Vacations". On Location Vacations. August 10, 2018. Retrieved August 10, 2018.