Central Rabbinical Congress
The Central Rabbinical Congress (in full: Central Rabbinical Congress of the U.S.A. and Canada, commonly abbreviated to CRC; in Hebrew: Hisachdus HaRabbonim DeArtzos HaBris VeCanada התאחדות הרבנים) is a rabbinical organization that is a consortium of various Orthodox Jewish groups including the Satmar Hasidic group. It also provides kosher food certification, and is well known for being strongly anti-Zionist. It is identified with the most conservative wings of Haredi Judaism in America.
In 1953, Rabbi Joel Teitelbaum founded the association.
The CRC has close relations with the Edah HaChareidis of Jerusalem, and can be closely compared to it, representing the same conservative wings of the Haredi world that the Edah represents in Jerusalem. In the past, both institutions were headed by the Satmar Rebbes, Rabbis Joel Teitelbaum and Moshe Teitelbaum.
Its membership consists of close to 300 leading Orthodox Jewish Grand Rabbis and communal leaders. It serves as the umbrella group of congregations with a reported collective constituency of over 250,000.
The CRC serves as a religious court whose typical cases deal with marital and business disputes in the Satmar, Pupa, and Satmar affiliated chasidic communities.
In 1986, the CRC publicized the following declaration:
It is our duty to denounce those who invoke the name of the Almighty in vain. It is our holy obligation and our moral responsibility to call on them: Stop using these falsehoods and heresies to justify yourselves and your misdeeds. The Jewish faith, as transmitted by the Almighty to our forefathers has not and will never countenance the zionist and nationalistic doctrines of the state of Israel. These false doctrines are compounded of atheism and anti-religious zionism, ideologies alien to Judaism. Let them not be misrepresented to the world as Jewish.
- Jerusalem Post
- Complaint filed 10/11/12 in New York Southern District Court in the CRC et al v. NYCDOHMH et al Case No. 1:12-cv-07590
- JTA August 21, 1979, Rabbi Joel TeitelBaum Dead at 93. Since then, the communities - with one if the highest birthrates, grew by leaps and bounds.
- The Jewish Week Archived November 20, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- Middle East Policy Council, Journal, Winter 1990-91, Number 35: JEWISH CRITICISM OF ZIONISM, Edward C. Corrigan
- "March from NY to DC" to protest the desecration of ancient jewish cemeteries in israel
- CRC Condemnations of Zionism and the State of Israel