Central University of Jharkhand
|झारखंड केंद्रीय विश्वविधालय
|Motto||Knowledge to Wisdom|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Nand Kumar Yadav 'Indu' (+91-9801766297)|
|Location||Ranchi, Jharkhand, India
The Central University of Jharkhand (CUJ) is a Central University of India, established by an act of Indian Parliament (Act no. 25 of 2009) in 2009. The President of India assented this act on 20 March 2009, however the university act deemed to come into force on 15 January 2009. Like other Central Universities of India it is a teaching and research university. The vision is to create a world class university in every aspect, be it research, teaching, administration or co-curricular activities, to produce world class students ready to excel in every chosen field with honour and uprightness.
CUJ offers five year "Integrated Masters Programs" in more than 20 disciplines, a few postgraduate programs and Ph.Ds. These are run at the temporary 45-acre Brambe campus. Apart from these regular courses it also offers diploma and certificate programs.
Innovations in academic processes
The University offers Five year Integrated Courses, Three year UG Courses, Two years P.G. Courses and Ph.D courses which are carefully designed to meet the multi-disciplinary needs of a Choice-based Credit System (CBCS) across different semesters and research. In a CBCS, a student enrolling for a Mathematics degree has a choice of taking an optional paper (for Credits) in, say, Mass Communication. In principle, a student could opt for a credit course from any other Central University, subject to availability of seats. Another innovation in the academic process is the compulsory internships in the professional program like Engineering, Business Administration and Mass Communication at the end of Year II, Year III and Year IV of the five year integrated programs. The University offers career oriented courses and has tie-ups with Oracle University to train students in Oracle Applications. Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India has selected Central University of Jharkhand (CUJ), Ranchi to set-up a Centre of Excellence (CoE) in Green & Efficient Energy Technology (GEET). The CoE-GEET will work on following thematic areas
- Development of photoactive nanomaterials for solar energy conversion and environmental remediation technology
- Development of new Generation Photovoltaics
- Development of efficient technology for waste to energy
- Development of sensors for Energy and Environment Applications
The university is exploring international collaborations and has entered into an MOU with California State University, USA, for student and faculty exchange.
Admission to the Five years integrated M.Tech/M.B.A./M.Sc./M.A. courses, Three years Bachelor course, Two-years LL.M./ M.Tech/ M.B.A./ M.Sc./ M.A. courses and Ph.D. courses will be based on the Central Universities Common Entrance Test (CUCET). Admission to the Certificate & Diploma courses will be based on Internal Entrance Test. Marks of the candidates coming from the University of Cambridge will be based on the Association of Indian Universities criteria – in calculation of overall average percentage of marks of best 5 subjects, such candidates must include the best 5 A-Level subjects taken. If the number of A Level subjects falls short of 5, the remaining subjects maybe taken from O-Level for aggregating the overall percentage of marks of best 5 subjects.
CUJ operates from its temporary campus at Brambe. It moved into this lush green area with tall Saal trees. Despite all the construction that has taken place, CUJ has not cut even a single tree to accommodate the infrastructure.
The Brambe campus of the CUJ is very green due to tall Saal trees dotted with nearly 70 independent class rooms and teaching labs. The majority of classrooms are equipped with interactive boards and projectors. The campus houses an auditorium with 400 seats, research lab complex for sciences, engineering workshops and computer lab, and a linguistics lab.
The university provides on-campus accommodation to students (total capacity 1000 boys and girls in separate hostels). Other amenities in Brambe campus include two banks Allahabad Bank and Punjab National Bank (PNB), automated teller machine (ATM) of SBI, PNB and Allahabad Bank, gym, and canteen.
New campus is under construction.
Schools and Centres
School of Humanities and Social Sciences
* Centre for Human Rights and Conflict Management * Centre for International Relations * Centre for Humanities and Social Sciences (in process)
School of Mass Communication and Media Technologies
* Centre for Mass Communication & Journalism
School of Natural Sciences
* Centre for Applied Chemistry * Centre for Applied Physics * Centre for Life Science * Centre for Applied Mathematics * Centre for Computer Science & Engineering
School of Languages
* Centre for English Language * Center for Far East Languages (Korean, Chinese, Tibetan)
School of Engineering and Technology
* Centre for Nanotechnology * Centre for Energy Engineering
- Computer Science - Mobile Computing
School for the Study of Culture
* Centre for Indigenous Culture Study * Centre for Tribal and Customary Law * Centre for Tribal Folklore, Language & Literature * Centre for Performing Arts
School of Natural Resources and Management
* Centre for Environmental Science * Centre for Land Resource Management * Centre for Water Engineering & Management
School of Management Sciences
* Centre for Business Administration
School of Education
* Centre for Education
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- The Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II Section 1, No.27, Friday March 20, 2009. Page 1-34.
- The Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part III Section 4, No.9, Monday January 16, 2012. Page 1-2.