Central University of Kashmir
|Motto||Knowledge is Power|
|Chancellor||Syed Ata Hasnain|
Central University of Kashmir, formerly Central University of Jammu and Kashmir, is a central university located in Ganderbal district of Jammu and Kashmir, India. It currently operates from four campuses in district Ganderbal: Green Campus at Duderhama, Science Campus at Nunar, Science and Arts Campus at Old Hospital Building, Ganderbal, and Main Campus at Tulmulla.
The Central University of Kashmir offers a three-year bachelor's degree programme in vocational studies (BVoc), a five-year integrated bachelor's degree programme in arts and laws (BA-LLB), five-year integrated bachelor's and master's degree programmes (BSc-MSc) in biotechnology, mathematics, physics and zoology, a three-year integrated bachelor's and master's degree programme in Education (BEd-MEd) and postgraduate programmes, including LLM, MA, MBA, MCom, MSc, MTech and MTTM. These programmes are offered through different academic departments. At present, the available disciplines are Biotechnology, Business Administration, Commerce, Comparative Religion, Computer Science, Convergent Journalism, Economics, Education, English, Information Technology, Islamic Studies, Law, Mathematics, Physical Education, Physics, Political Science, Teacher Education, Travel and Tourism Management, Urdu, Vocational Studies (in two branches: 1. Retail and Logistic Management & 2. Tourism and Hospitality Management), and Zoology. In addition, research programmes like integrated MPhil-PhD programme in Biotechnology, Economics, Education, English, Journalism, Management Studies, Mathematics, Political Science, Religious Studies, Tourism Studies, and Urdu and direct PhD programme in Law along with few PG diploma programmes (in Guidance and Counselling, Peace and Conflict Studies, and Alternate Banking) are also offered by the University.
Organisation and administration
The President of India is the Visitor of the University. The Chancellor is the ceremonial head of the university while the executive powers rest with the Vice-chancellor. The Court, the Executive Council, the Academic Council, the Board of studies and the Finance Committee are the administrative authorities of the University.
The University Court is the supreme authority of the University and has the power to review, the broad policies and programmes of the University and to suggest measures for the improvement and development of the University; The Executive Council is the highest executive body of the University. The Academic Council is the highest academic body of the University and is responsible for the co-ordination and exercising general supervision over the academic policies of the University. It has the right to advise the Executive Council on all academic matters. The Finance Committee is responsible for recommending financial policies, goals, and budgets.
Chancellors of the University
1. Dr. Srikumar Banerjee (2012-2017)
2. Lt. General Syed Ata Hasnain (Incumbent)
Vice-Chancellors of the University
1. Prof. Abdul Wahid Qureshi (2009-2014)
2. Prof. Mehraj-ud-Din Mir (Incumbent)
The University comprises the following schools:
- School of Business Studies
- School of Education
- School of Engineering & Technology
- School of Languages
- School of Legal Studies
- School of Life Sciences
- School of Media Studies
- School of Physical & Chemical Sciences
- School of Social Sciences
- "Association of Commonwealth Universities Membars-Asia". Retrieved 16 January 2019.
- "List of Central Universities as on 29.06.2017" (PDF). UGC. 29 June 2017. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- "Welcome To The Official Website | Central University of Kashmir". cukashmir.ac.in. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- "Postgraduate - Current Programs". Archived from the original on 29 May 2010. Retrieved 18 June 2010.
- "Admission notice" (PDF). Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Central Universities Act, 2009". 20 March 2009. Cite journal requires