Central University of Rajasthan
|Central University of Rajasthan|
|राजस्थान केन्द्रीय विश्वविद्यालय|
|Motto||सतत विकास के लिए शिक्षा|
Motto in English
|Education for Sustainable Development|
|Type||Public Central University|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. A.P. Singh |
|Students||1700  (on May 2015)|
|Location||Bandar Sindri, Ajmer, Rajasthan, India
|Campus||Rural 518 acres (2.1 km²)|
Central University of Rajasthan (Hindi: राजस्थान केन्द्रीय विश्वविद्यालय) also known as CURAJ, is a public central university in Rajasthan, India. CURAJ is organised into ten schools, twenty departments and one community college.Total student enrolment at the university exceeds 1700 and includes students from over 23 states.
CURAJ was established by an Act of Parliament as a new Central University, and is fully funded by the Government of India. The Central Universities Act 2009  aims to creating one new central university each in Bihar, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Orissa, Punjab, Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu. It also seeks to convert Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya in Chhattisgarh, Harisingh Gour Vishwavidyalaya in Sagar (Madhya Pradesh) and Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University in Uttarakhand into Central universities.
The university had started to function from its temporary campus at Malaviya National Institute of Technology Jaipur in the year 2009 with only two courses. In the year 2010, it shifted to R.K. Patni College in Kishangarh, Ajmer which offered much larger premises to run six new courses.
The Government of Rajasthan allocated over 518 acres of land for the permanent campus of the Central University of Rajasthan at Bander Sindri near Kishangarh on Jaipur – Ajmer Highway (NH-8). From the year 2011, the university began construction of its permanent campus at the site allocated to it. In the year 2012, the university started functioning from its permanent campus with a total of twenty different P.G. courses and ten different Integreted M.Sc. courses.
More buildings are being constructed with the entire development plan for the campus envisioning a 30-year time span for complete construction and development of the campus.
The architectural style is a fusion of traditional Rajasthani architectural styles and features and contemporary design elements. The chhatri and jaali are used as prominent design elements in the buildings giving the buildings the look of a unique blend of the traditional and the modern.
CURAJ offers five-year integrated M.Sc. programmes in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Environmental Science, Mathematics, Microbiology, Physics and Statistics. The integrated M.Sc. programmes leading to the degree of B.Sc. and M.Sc., have four core subjects in the 1st and 2nd year (Semester I - IV), and only one subject as major (like Honors degree ) in 3rd year (Semester V & VI) in which the student will pursue the M.Sc. degree. Exit options are available after B.Sc., if not continuing further for Master’s degree.
- M.Arch. (Sustainable Architecture)
- MBA (specialization in Finance/ Marketing with special emphasis on Entrepreneurship and Business Analytics)
- M.Com. (specialization in Accounting & Taxation/ HRM/ Finance/ Marketing)
- M. Pharm. (Pharmaceutical & Medicinal Chemistry)
- M. Tech. CSE (specialization in Cyber Security)
- M. Sc. (Tech) Mathematics (combination of Mathematics and Computer Science)
M. A. programmes in;
- Culture & Media Studies
- Economics (specialization in Enviro-Economics)
- English (Specialization in Creative Writing, Script Writing, Writing for Media and Film Appreciation)
- Hindi (Specialization in Functional Hindi)
- Public Policy, Law and Governance
- Social Work
M. Sc. programmes in;
- Chemistry (specialization in Green Chemistry)
- Computer Science (specialization in Artificial Intelligence)
- Environmental Science (specialization in Desert Studies)
- Mathematics (combination of Mathematics and Computer Science)
- Statistics (specialization in Actuarial Science)
- Certificate in Interior Design (1 year)
- Diploma in Interior Design (2 years)
- Degree in Interior Design (3 years)
The university admits students to integrated M. Sc. and PG programmes through the Central Universities Common Entrance Test (CUCET) held yearly, and conducted at centers all over India. Admission to M. Tech. programme is made once a year on the basis of GATE score through Centralized Counselling for M.Tech./ M.Arch./ M.Plan. (CCMT). Admission to the Doctoral programmes were accomplished through the CUCET and followed by a interview.
The university coordinates CUCET each year from its introduction. In 2015, eight universities taken part in CUCET, including CURAJ. Other universities are Central University of Haryana, Central University of Jammu, Central University of Jharkhand, Central University of Kashmir, Central University of Kerala, Central University of Punjab and Central University of Tamil Nadu.
Schools and Departments
University is organised into ten schools, each of which has several departments:
- School of Architecture
- Department of Architecture
- Community College
- School of Chemical Sciences and Pharmacy
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Pharmacy
- School of Commerce & Management
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Management
- School of Engineering and Technology
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- School of Earth Sciences
- Department of Environmental Science
- School of Life Sciences
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Microbiology
- School of Humanities & Languages
- Department of English
- Department of English
- School of Mathematics, Statistics & Computational Sciences
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
- School of Social Science
- Department of Culture and Media Studies
- Department of Economics
- Department of Public Policy, Law and Governance
- Department of Social Work
- School of Physical Sciences
- Department of Physics
University Library have more than 25000 books including references and subscribed more than 8000 online journals under UGC- INFONET Digital Library Consortium and more than 2000 online journals being subscribed by the University Library i.e. Science Direct, SciFinder, Bentham Science, EBSCO, ACM Digital library & IEEE online journals. More than 100 National & International print journals also being subscribed by the University Library. 
Halls of Residence
The residential character of CURAJ is an important component of the intellectual and cultural life of the campus. There are 6 residences (hostels), Which includes 2 hostels for UG and PG male Students, 2 hostels for UG and PG female Students, 1 hostel for male research scholars, teaching and non teaching stuffs, 1 hostel for female research scholars, teaching and non teaching stuffs.
The university has students from both India and abroad. Currently there are students from more than 23 states of India. The university has international students mainly from the Middle East and South Asia. On campus, the student population has reached around 1700 and it is expected to peak to around 5000 in near future.
Besides academics, a range of societies and clubs exist for students like the student-run media group called Astitva, the Film Club, the photography club known as the Lenswala and the Economics Society of CURAJ. The annual cultural fest is known as Marukriti. The Economania, Math Earth and Myriad Hues are the annual fests of the respective department and student societies of the university. The university's students also participate in regional and national level inter-university fests and competitions like the Association of Indian Universities annual fest known as UNIFEST.
- "Central Universities Act 2009" (PDF). Ministry of Human Resource Development website.
- "Vice Chancellor". Central University of Rajasthan website.
- "Central University of Rajasthan Self Study Report Part 1" (PDF). Central University of Rajasthan website.
- "B. Voc." (PDF). Central University of Rajasthan.
- "Central Universities Common Entrance Test". Collegedunia Web.
- "CCMT". CCMT Website.
- "B. Voc. 2015". Central University of Rajasthan.
- "CUCET 2015". CUCET.
- "School". Central University of Rajasthan.
- "Central Library". Central University of Rajasthan website.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Central University of Rajasthan.|