Centre Daily Times
|Owner(s)||The McClatchy Company|
|Founded||May 12, 1898
(as State College Times)
|Headquarters||3400 East College Avenue
State College, PA 16801-7528
|Circulation||23,959 Monday - Thursday
The Centre Daily Times is a daily newspaper located in State College, Pennsylvania in the United States. It is the hometown newspaper for State College and the Pennsylvania State University, one of the best-known and largest universities in the country, with more than 45,000 students attending the main campus.
The newspaper was founded on May 12, 1898 as the weekly State College Times. In 1901, the paper changed ownership and The Times Printing & Publishing Company was formed. Two years later, the company name was changed to Nittany Printing & Publishing. The Aikens family, led by Dr. Charles T. Aikens, acquired the paper in 1914. Charles' son, Claude G. Aikens, became publisher five years later. Under his leadership, circulation continued to grow and the paper became a daily in 1934. At that time, the publication took on its current Centre Daily Times name. In 1966, Claude's son Charles T. Aikens II took over as publisher.
The paper was sold to Knight Ridder in 1979. Under Knight Ridder, a Saturday morning edition was added in 1980 and a Sunday edition was launched in 1982. The Centre Daily Times became a morning paper in 1986.
The McClatchy Company purchased Knight Ridder in 2006, thereby acquiring the Centre Daily Times.
Home delivery is available to all of Centre County and parts of Blair, Clearfield, Clinton, Huntingdon and Mifflin counties. In addition, single copy sales reach several more counties, especially during college football season.
- Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association 2016 Keystone Press Awards winner as the best newspaper in its circulation division. Won 12 individual awards including first-place finishes in four categories.
- Named to annual list of 10 newspapers to watch by Editor & Publisher.
- "The McClatchy Company Newspapers: Centre Daily Times". The McClatchy Company. Archived from the original on 2006-11-09. Retrieved 2006-11-01.
- CentreDaily.com official site
- Electronic E-Edition
- Official mobile website
- The McClatchy Company's subsidiary profile of the Centre Daily Times
|This article about a Pennsylvania newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|