Centre Island, New York
Centre Island, New York
|Incorporated Village of Centre Island|
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|County||Nassau County, New York|
|• Total||1.09 sq mi (2.83 km2)|
|• Land||1.09 sq mi (2.82 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||33 ft (10 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||375.23/sq mi (144.86/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0946329|
Despite its name, it is actually a peninsula. According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2), all land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 444 people, 174 households, and 128 families residing in the village. The population density was 397.2 people per square mile (153.1/km2). There were 209 housing units at an average density of 187.0 per square mile (72.0/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 96.62% White, 0.45% African American, 0.90% Asian, 0.45% from other races, and 1.58% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.15% of the population.
There were 174 households, out of which 29.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.2% were married couples living together, 6.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.9% were non-families. 19.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 6.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the village, the population was spread out, with 20.9% under the age of 18, 3.8% from 18 to 24, 27.7% from 25 to 44, 31.1% from 45 to 64, and 16.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females, there were 98.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 105.3 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $117,848, and the median income for a family was $115,972. Males had a median income of $100,000 versus $40,000 for females. The per capita income for the village was $96,674. About 6.0% of families and 12.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 32.5% of those under age 18 and 5.9% of those age 65 or over.
As of August 2021, the Mayor of Centre Island is Michael Chalos and the Village Trustees are Robert Broussard, Grace Haggerty, and the Honorable Victor Ort.
The Village of Centre Island is located entirely within the boundaries of the Oyster Bay–East Norwich Central School District. As such, all children who reside within Centre Island and attend public schools go to Oyster Bay–East Norwich's schools.
Centre Island is located within the boundaries of the Oyster Bay–East Norwich Library District.
- Sean Hannity: Radio host, television host, political commentator, author.
- Billy Joel: American singer-songwriter, composer and pianist.
- Alan Jay Lerner: Academy and Tony Award-winning lyricist.
- Rupert Murdoch: Media mogul who founded NewsCorp.
- Rosalind P. Walter: American philanthropist known for her support of PBS programs.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 27, 2020.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- "Incorporated Villages in the Town of Oyster Bay". Town of Oyster Bay. Archived from the original on November 2, 2019. Retrieved June 3, 2020.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Centre Island village, New York". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 3, 2011.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Board of Trustees | VILLAGE OF CENTRE ISLAND". centreisland.org. Retrieved 2021-08-09.
- "Long Island Index: Interactive Map". Long Island Index Maps. Long Island Index.
- "Composite School District Boundaries Shapefiles". NCES. Retrieved 2020-10-23.
- David, Mark (February 9, 2014). "Is Sean Hannity Saying Bye-Bye To New York". Variety. Archived from the original on September 5, 2014. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- Vazquez, Jennifer. "Sprawling Long Island Estate Next Door to Billy Joel on the Market for $11.2 Million." New York, New York: NBC-4 New York, May 10, 2018.
- Centre Island | Long Island New York - Long Island Exchange Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- Paumgarten, Nick. "Billy Joel, Thirty-Three-Hit Wonder." New York, New York: The New Yorker, October 27, 2014.