Centre Township, New Jersey
"Beginning in the middle of Great Timber Creek at the mouth of the southerly branch of Little Timber Creek; thence along the middle of Little Timber Creek to a point where the old King’s Highway crossed the same; thence northerly along the highway to the southwest corner of Cedar Grove Cemetery and corner of James H. Brick’s land; thence along said line and by the lands of Aaron H. Hurley, crossing the Mt. Ephraim Road to the corner of the lands of John Brick, deceased; thence along the lands of Brick and John C. Champion and John R. Brick to Newton Creek, on the line of Newton Township; thence eastwardly by Newton Creek, on the line of Union and Newton, until it strikes the line of the townships of Union and Delaware; thence up the same to Burrough’s Bridge; thence on the middle of the highway and on boundary line between the townships of Union and Gloucester to Clements Bridge, on the Great Timber Creek; thence down the middle of the said creek to the place of beginning."
Over the years, portions of Centre Township were taken to create several new municipalities:
- Haddon Heights on March 2, 1904 (also portions of Haddon Township)
- Magnolia on April 14, 1915 (also portions of Clementon)
- Barrington on March 27, 1917
- Tavistock on February 16, 1921
- Brooklawn on March 11, 1924
- Bellmawr on March 23, 1926
- Mount Ephraim on March 23, 1926
- Runnemede on March 23, 1926
- Lawnside on March 24, 1926 (also portions of Barrington)
With the creation of Lawnside, Centre Township was officially dissolved.
- Barnett, Bob. Population Data for Camden County Municipalities, 1850 - 2000, WestJersey.org, January 6, 2011. Accessed September 24, 2013.
- Compendium of censuses 1726-1905: together with the tabulated returns of 1905, New Jersey Department of State, 1906. Accessed September 24, 2013.
- Raum, John O. The History of New Jersey: From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Volume 1, p. 279, J. E. Potter and company, 1877. Accessed September 25, 2013. "Center township contained in 1860 1,305, inhabitants and in 1870, 1,718."
- Staff. A compendium of the ninth census, 1870, p. 259. United States Census Bureau, 1872. Accessed September 24, 2013.
- Porter, Robert Percival. Preliminary Results as Contained in the Eleventh Census Bulletins: Volume III - 51 to 75, p. 97. United States Census Bureau, 1890. Accessed September 24, 2013.
- Thirteenth Census of the United States, 1910: Population by Counties and Minor Civil Divisions, 1910, 1900, 1890, United States Census Bureau, p. 336. Accessed September 25, 2013.
- "Fifteenth Census of the United States: 1930 - Population Volume I", United States Census Bureau, p. 715. Accessed September 25, 2013. Data for 1910 and 1920 for Centre Township is listed in footnote 4.
- Snyder, John P. The Story of New Jersey's Civil Boundaries: 1606-1968, Bureau of Geology and Topography; Trenton, New Jersey; 1969. p. 104. Accessed November 3, 2012.