Centre d'Etudes Diplomatiques et Stratégiques
|Type||Postgraduate School for diplomats, military officers and executives. Partner Postgraduate School of the French École Militaire.|
|Established||1986 as a graduate school - 1899 as a College by Émile Durkheim|
|Campus||Paris, Athens, La Paz, Dakar|
|Colours||Yellow, purple and white|
|Affiliations||Academic Council of the United Nations System|
The Center for Diplomatic and Strategic Studies (French: Centre d'Etudes Diplomatiques et Stratégiques, CEDS) is an accredited postgraduate school and a think tank in diplomacy and international relations headquartered in Paris. CEDS is the graduate and doctoral school of the Écoles des hautes études internationales et politiques (HEI-HEP), founded in 1899 by Émile Durkheim, Charles Seignobos, and Romain Rolland. In 1986, Pascal Chaigneau (HEC School of Management and Paris Descartes University), initiated CEDS as a specialized graduate school for officers, diplomats, and future executives. It is accredited as a Premier College by the (Accreditation Service for International Colleges. It is the exclusive partner postgraduate school of the French Ecole Militaire.
Initially a non-academic institution reserved to serving diplomats and either generals or senior officers, it also admits commissioned officers at large, executives, and senior civil servants (hauts fonctionnaires) linked to the diplomatic service. Among others, its Greek branch has educated the commanding officer of the Greek Navy's Frigate Command between him attending the Naval Postgraduate School and the Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
Specific relationship with diplomats
Along with the Institut français, the CEDS is a de facto lever of the French diplomatic influence (Action Française à l'étranger). It received French politician Jack Lang on September 25, 2009 for the inauguration of a Curriculum in International Relations delivered jointly with the Institut Français à Athènes. One of its academic advisers and professors is Carlos Antonio Carrasco, ambassador of Bolivia.
Faculty and research
The CEDS edits the peer-reviewed academic journal Enjeux Diplomatiques et Stratégiques. It also publishes a limited number of its students' doctoral thesis as books either independently or via the publishing house l'Harmattan in Paris, in English, in the series "Diplomacy and Strategy".
The CEDS is formally associated to the French Joint Defence College and the ECOSOC of the United Nations. Among its faculty are antiterrorism and ICTY intelligence expert Raymond Carter, Jacques Walch of the French Army, and peace operations expert and Military Staff Committee representative Dominique Trinquand, who is also a former alumni of CEDS. Most of the military faculty of the CEDS also comes from the French Institut des hautes études de défense nationale.
Ambassadors Michel Raimbaud (France), Carlos Carrasco (Bolivia), Cristina Aguiar (Dominican Republic), Mickaël Lebedev (Russian Federation), George Ayache (France), former cabinet member Dominique de Villepin, and Patrick Boursin (France) all teach at the CEDS, along with Andrei Gratchev, former spokesperson of Mikhail Gorbachev and member of the World Political Forum.
- Paul F.J. Aranas - U.S. author and lecturer
- Naela Chohan - Pakistani diplomat
- Michael J. Strauss - U.S. journalist and strategist
- Idriss Aberkane - French political thinker and strategist
- Khayyam AKBAR - Diplomat, Foreign Service of Pakistan
- "Centre d'Études Diplomatiques et Stratégiques CEDS". Ceds.fr. Archived from the original on 2012-06-13. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- "Centre d'Études Diplomatiques et Stratégiques - CEDS Paris - France". Afdevinfo.com. 2007-09-05. Archived from the original on 2012-10-10. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- "ASIC College Info - Centre D'Ă‰tudes Diplomatiques et Strategiques (CEDS)". Asic.org.uk. Archived from the original on 2012-03-29. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- "CEDS Centre d'Etudes Diplomatiques et Stratégiques, Paris (75 - Paris) [CIDE]". Enseignement-prive.fr. Archived from the original on 2012-10-21. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- "Ecole de Guerre". Ecoledeguerre.defense.gouv.fr. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Jack Lang s'engage pour l'Europe | Grèce | Athènes". LatitudeFrance. 2009-10-27. Archived from the original on 2012-04-02. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- "Présentation de lettres de créance et de commission à Rideau Hall". Archive.gg.ca. 2004-04-19. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- (French) http://www.wisdom-conseil.com/raymon2.html
- "France Culture". France Culture. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- "Banque d'experts TRINQUAND, Dominique" (in French). Operationspaix.net. Archived from the original on 2011-09-22. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- Ayache, G. Chaigneau, P Dictionnaire Biographque des Relations Internationales depuis 1945, Economica 2007
- "Centre d'Études Diplomatiques et Stratégiques CEDS". Ceds.fr. Archived from the original on 2012-06-20. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- document of the World Political Forum 2004
- Confidential lecture at the CHEAR - DGA Ministry of Defense March 10th 2005