Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology
|Motto||Dedicated to the Nation|
|Director||Ch. Mohan Rao|
|Location||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Campus||Urban, 6 acres (24,000 m2)|
The Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology or CCMB is an Indian Biotechnology research establishment of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research located in Hyderabad, India, and a designated Center of Excellence for Global Molecular and Cell Biology Network, UNESCO. The National Biosafety level - 4 Containment Facility for Human Infectious Diseases, is Located in CCMB.
The center collaborates with the University of Nebraska Medical Center for translational research on Glaucoma In addition, the center derives International funding for specific collaborative projects from agencies like National Institutes of Health, Harvard Medical School, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the U.S., Imperial Cancer Research Fund and Cambridge University in the U.K., India Japan Science Council and the University of Ryukyus in Japan, Centre Nationale de la Recherche Scientifique and the Pasteur Institute in France and the Volkswagen Foundation in Germany.
- Dr. P M Bhargava (1977 Apr - 1990 Feb)
- Dr. Sharat Chandra (1990 March - 1992 May)
- Dr. Balasubramanian (1992 May - 1998 May)
- Dr. Lalji Singh (1998 May - 2009 Jul)
The ongoing research programmes at the CCMB are in three major categories - high quality basic research in the frontier areas of modern biology, research relevant to societal needs, and application-oriented research towards commercialisation. These include the areas of biomedicine & diagnostics, evolution & development, gene regulation in prokaryotes and eukaryotes, host-parasite interactions, membrane biology, protein structure, bio informatics, functional genomics, theoretical biology, etc.
In recognition for its contribution to modern biology, CCMB has been chosen as a Centre of Excellence by UNESCO Global Network for Molecular and Cell Biology MCBN and has been designated as a South Centre for Excellence for Research and Training by the Third World Academy of Sciences TWAS, Italy. Many prestigious international and national awards have come to CCMB including the CSIR Technology Award (four times) and FICCI Award for outstanding achievements in Science & Technology.
- Discovered the Heart disease mutation, carried by sixty million people among Indians.
- Developed the first genetically engineered, Gene knockout mouse in India.
- Developed the first artificial insemination technology in India, to deliver extinct ruminant mammals, like deer.
- Developed a systematic screening and validation programme for Anti Cancer drugs in India.
- Discovered the origin of Andaman tribes, through DNA Fingerprinting technology
- Commercially delivered, Recombinant DNA Technology based Diagnostic Kit, for detection of pathogens causing ophthalmic infections.
- Discovered High Yielding disease resistant Rice.
- Discovered native bacteria, Indibacter alkaliphilus used to generate Enzymes and Bio-molecules in the Industrial Biotechnology sector.
- Discovered the functionality of Microsatellites (simple sequence repeats) among non-coding DNA.
- Discovered the gene CPA1, causing chronic pancreatitis in collaboration with Asian Institute of Gastroenterology.
Annexe I - LaCONES
CCMB is involved in the dissemination of modern biological information through popularisation of science, science education in schools, and has been a meeting point for art and science. The Laboratory for conservation of endangered species is an annexe with the aim to conserve the Indian wildlife by using modern biological techniques and assisted reproductive technologies.
Annexe II - Clinical Research Laboratory and Innovation Complex
CCMB has started clinical research and Regenerative medicine services at its clinical research facility in collaboration with physicians from Nizam's Institute of Medical Sciences to conduct bone marrow transplantation. A new 37 acre Innovation complex is going to be set up as an extension to CRF, which aims to conduct translational research for stem cell therapy and Agri biotech.
- Pushpa Mittra Bhargava
- Lalji Singh
- Ch. Mohan Rao
- Ramesh Venkata Sonti
- Amitabha Chattopadhyay
- Rajan Sankaranarayanan
- Jayaraman Gowrishankar
- Genome Valley
- Veena Parnaik
Notes and references
- "CCMB develops DNA test to identify animal species". The Hindu Business Line. 2003-04-30. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- TNN May 10, 2006, 01.54am IST (2006-05-10). "CCMB identifies milk gene". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "BSL 4" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Business Line : Today's Paper / ECONOMY : Stone laid for stem cell research lab in Hyderabad". The Hindu Business Line. 2007-11-06. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Glaucoma Research" (PDF) (Press release). Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- "Harvard School of Public Health » HSPH News » New research reveals the ancestral populations of India and their relationships to modern groups". Hsph.harvard.edu. 2009-09-23. Retrieved 2013-04-16.
- "caste system existed from 'Founder' race: CCMB-Harvard-MIT study". News.webindia123.com. 2009-09-24. Retrieved 2013-04-16.
- "Modern man went into the world via India". Epaper.timesofindia.com. 2009-01-21. Retrieved 2013-04-16.
- "HTLV-1 Tax Specific CD8+ T Cells Express Low Levels of Tim-3 in HTLV-1 Infection: Implications for Progression to Neurological Complications". Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Retrieved 2013-04-16.
- "Research > Research Partners". Ccmb.res.in. Retrieved 2013-04-16.
- "Education Plus : Opening new vistas of research in biology". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2013-04-16.
- The worst luck in the world? - Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
- "Scientists complete work on gene knockout technology". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2006-05-10.
- CCMB implements artificial insemination in deer - India - DNA
- "CCMB scientists develop new drug assay system - The Times of India". The Times Of India. 2001-11-03.
- "DNA fingerprinting has come a long way, says Lalji Singh". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 2013-02-17.
- "CCMB scientists develop new method to test cancer - The Times of India". The Times Of India. 2001-11-04.
- "CCMB grows pest-resistant Samba Masuri rice strain - The Times of India". The Times Of India. 2011-11-29.
- Mallikarjun, Y. (2011-11-13). "New found bacteria get Indian nomenclatures". The Hindu (Chennai, India).
- DNA: CCMB scientists achieve breakthrough - The New Indian Express
- Scientists from CCMB and AIG Discovered Gene Causing Chronic Pancreatitis
- Eenadu daily, Innovation complex for CCMB, Page 11, November 21, 2012.
- TNN Nov 26, 2011, 04.56AM IST (2011-11-26). "Stem cell therapy facility at Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- Business Standard (2012-08-09). "CCMB sets up clinical research facility in Hyderabad". Business-standard.com. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "Academics" (Press release). Archived from the original on August 1, 2010. Retrieved 2012-12-01.