Centre for Contemporary Arts
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Centre for Contemporary Arts (CCA) is an arts centre in Glasgow, Scotland. The year-round programme includes exhibitions, film, music, literature, spoken word, festivals, Gaelic and performance. The Centre works with artists, commissions new projects and presents them to the widest possible audience.
The building was previously home to the Third Eye Centre (1975–1991), founded as a multi-media arts centre by Tom McGrath in 1974. CCA operates an open source programming policy, where organisations and individuals are offered space in the building to programme their own events. In 2015 to 2016, CCA worked with 244 programme partners across 1,011 events and 28 festivals.
CCA curates six major exhibitions a year, presenting national and international contemporary artists in the gallery space. The building is also home to Intermedia Gallery, showcasing emerging artists. CCA offers a programme of artist residencies in the Creative Lab and internationally.
In 2015, CCA launched a public engagement programme which aims to extend access to CCA and has the prospect of cultural and social change explored through art. In 2015 to 2016, 60 activities took place in CCA and in communities throughout Glasgow.
CCA is home to a number of other cultural and artistic organisations. Cultural tenants include BHP Comics; Camcorder Guerillas; Cryptic; Document; Electron Club; MAP Magazine; LUX Scotland; Paragon; Playwrights’ Studio Scotland; Scottish Ensemble; Scottish Writers’ Centre; The List; Tom McGrath Writers' Room; University of the West of Scotland and Voice Business.
The building includes Saramago Café Bar and independent shops Aye-Aye Books and Welcome Home.
- Bruce, Keith (2009-07-10). "Planting seeds of change to push doors wide open". The Herald. Retrieved 2010-05-18.
- Glasgow, CCA. "Cultural Tenants | About CCA | CCA". cca-glasgow.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- Glasgow, CCA. "Saramago Café Bar | Saramago Café | CCA". cca-glasgow.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- "Tom McGrath". The Herald. 2009-05-01. Retrieved 2010-05-18.
- "DSA Building/Design Report: Grecian Buildings". Dictionary of Scottish Architects. 2008. Retrieved 2010-05-18.
- Glasgow, CCA. "Supporters | About CCA | CCA". cca-glasgow.com. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- Centre for Contemporary Arts
- "Art and Soul of the Machine", The Scotsman
- "Face to Face: Francis McKee, director of Centre for Contemporary Arts, Glasgow", The Herald
- "Archive memories mark 40 years of Third Eye Centre", The Herald
- "CCA at 40: a look back at the arts base that opened as the Third Eye Centre", Evening Times
- "The Third Eye Centre evolves into the CCA", Evening Times
- "CCA opens its doors to reach around the world", Evening Times
- "CCA reaches out to the community", Evening Times