Centre for High Energy Physics
|Motto||"Hard work is the key to success"|
|Type||Education and research|
|Director||Prof. Dr. Haris Rashid|
|Location||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Colors||Maroon and Light Blue
The Centre for High Energy Physics at the Punjab University, commonly referred to as CHEP, is a national research institute for High-energy physics (or Particle physics), a branch of fundamental Physics. It is concerned with unraveling the ultimate constituents of matter and with elucidating the forces between them.
Research in high energy physics started at the Punjab University in 1968. In November 1982, the Centre for High Energy Physics (CHEP) was established and entrusted with teaching and research in the field leading to a Master's and doctoral programme.
The center has a logo which shows a book as a sign of knowledge, and an Arabic verse from the Qur'an which translates to "Why don't you think?" . On top is the department's name and at the bottom is the name of the university.
CHEP is located in the new campus of the University of the Punjab near the main gates of the university (Gate No. 1 and Gate No. 2). CHEP has a two-storey building with its own library (other than the university main library), seven computer labs: a programming, modeling and simulation lab, a supercomputer lab, M.Phill. computer lab, Ph.D. computer lab, a physics lab, a modern physics lab and an electronics lab.
- Harmonic physics
- Experimental High energy physics (data analysis)
- Parallel processing and high performance computation
- Medical Physics (modeling and simulation)
- Computational analysis of physical properties of solids
- Phenomenology of weak decay and CP violation
- Neutrino physics
- Meson-Meson physics
- Physics education
- Quantum physics
- Scientific computation
- Solid state physics
- Thermal physics
- High-energy nuclear physics
- Nuclear physics
- Particle physics
- Computational physics
- Undergraduate programme (Bachelor of Science (B.Sc. (with honors) or B.S.) — the institute offers a four years programme. The undergraduate programmes are taught with the advanced courses of engineering. The disciplines are listed below in which the programmes are being offered by the institute:
- Master's and post-research programme (Master of Science (honors), Master of Physics, and/or Master of Philosophy) — the CHEP offers a two year programme in the disciplines listed below:
- Post-doctoral research and Doctoral programme (Doctor of Philosophy and Doctor of Science) — the institute manages the post-doctoral research and doctoral programmes that are expected to be completed in 2–5 years. The degrees are awarded by publishing a thesis supervised by the institute. The doctoral programmes that are offered are listed below.