Centre for Historical Research and Documentation on War and Contemporary Society
The Centre for Historical Research and Documentation on War and Contemporary Society, known by its combined French and Dutch acronym Cegesoma, is a historical research institute and archive based in Anderlecht, Belgium. It focusses on World War II and the contemporary history of Belgium. Since 2016 it has formed part of the Belgian State Archives. Its director is Nico Wouters.
The Centre was founded in 1967 as the Centre for Research and Historical Study into the Second World War (Centre de Recherches et d’Etudes historiques de la Seconde Guerre mondiale, or CREHSGM). It was created in response to the legal acquittal of Robert Jan Verbelen, a Flemish collaborator, in 1965 as a result of insufficient documentary records. From 1969, the institution began to actively collect publications, interviews and archives relating to the Second World War. Subsequently it began to expand the scope of its research into World War I and other aspects of contemporary history. In 1997, it was renamed the Centre for Study and Documentary on War and Contemporary Society. It became an autonomous part of the State Archives of Belgium in 2016.
Notable projects run by the Centre include:
- Belgian War Press: a digital archive of Belgian newspapers published during World War I and II, both "censored" and "clandestine";
- Belgium WWII: an educational resource on aspects of Belgian history during World War II.
The Centre has supported a range of monographs, edited volumes and peer-reviewed journals including the Journal of Belgian History. It is a member of the European Network for Contemporary History (EURHISTXX).
- State Archives (Belgium)
- Royal Library of Belgium
- Belgian Federal Science Policy Office
- NIOD Institute for War, Holocaust and Genocide Studies - an equivalent institution in the Netherlands
- Journal of Belgian History
- Kesteloot, Chantal. "Centre d'Etudes et de Documentation Guerre et Sociétés contemporaines (CegeSoma)". Belgium WWII. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "Institutional Partners". European Network for Contemporary History. Archived from the original on 2007-07-01.[not in citation given]
- Official CEGESOMA website
- "European Network for Contemporary History (EURHISTXX)". EURHISTXX. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
|This article about a scientific organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|