|Communauté d'agglomération de Cergy-Pontoise|
|No. of communes||13|
|• Total||84.2 km2 (32.5 sq mi)|
Cergy-Pontoise (French pronunciation: [sɛʁʒi pɔ̃twɑz]) is a new town and an agglomeration community in France, in the Val-d'Oise department, northwest of Paris on the river Oise. It owes its name to two of the communes that it covers, Cergy and Pontoise. Its population is 199,143 (2012), in an area of 84.2 km2. Created in the 1970s, it became an agglomeration community in 2004.
Since the establishment of the new agglomeration, the population has quadrupled over forty years.
In the 1960s, faced by the fast development of Paris and its suburbs, it was decided to control and balance it by creating several new cities around Paris.
To the north, the choice was made on the surroundings of Pontoise. The old city was to be integrated in a much larger unit, whose center would be Cergy, at the time not more than a village. From 1965, the establishment of the new city was to be done in several stages:
- April 16, 1969: creation of the publicly owned "Établissement public d'aménagement" (EPA)
- 1971: creation of the Syndicat communautaire d'aménagement (SCA).
- August 11, 1972: official creation of the new city of Cergy-Pontoise, gathering fifteen communes (the eleven current ones, and Boisemont, Boissy-l'Aillerie, Méry-sur-Oise and Pierrelaye).
- 1983: the law Rocard amended the new cities.
- 1984: Syndicat d'agglomération nouvelle (SAN) replaces the SCA, four communes left the structure (the four mentioned above)
- December 31, 2002: end of the mission and dissolution of the EPA, following the completion of the new city.
- January 1, 2004: transformation of the SAN into a communauté d'agglomération.
- 2004: Boisemont becomes the 12th commune of Cergy-Pontoise.
Bus services are provided by the Stivo (formerly StAN).
In the media
- L'enfance d'une ville, a 1975 movie by Eric Rohmer
- I as in Icarus, a 1979 movie by Henri Verneuil
- Boyfriends and Girlfriends, a 1987 movie by Eric Rohmer
- Water Lilies, a 2007 movie by Céline Sciamma
- Columbia, Maryland, United States
- Tres Cantos, Spain
- Erkrath, Germany
- West Lancashire, England (Which includes the planned town of Skelmersdale.)
- INSEE, CA de Cergy-Pontoise
- INSEE, Établissement public de coopération intercommunale de Cergy-Pontoise
- "Mentoins légales Archived October 3, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.." Bandai France. Retrieved on 6 July 2011. "21-23 rue du Petit Albi, 95808 CERGY-PONTOISE Cedex."
- L'enfance d'une ville
- "Most Popular Titles With Location Matching "Cergy, Val-d'Oise, France"". Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- Site of the communauté d'agglomérations (French)
- Accommodation and Travel in Pontoise[permanent dead link] (English)