Aerial view of the Cerro Armazones
|Elevation||3,046 m (9,993 ft)|
|Location||Antofagasta Region, Chile|
|Parent range||Cordillera Vicuña Mackenna|
Cerro Armazones is a mountain located in the Sierra Vicuña Mackenna of the Chilean Coast Range, approximately 130 km (81 mi) south-east of Antofagasta in the Antofagasta Region, Chile. Before construction started on the European Extremely Large Telescope, the summit was a horizontal control point with an elevation of 3,064 metres (10,052 ft). The new elevation is 3,046 m (9,993 ft). It is located in a privileged zone for optical astronomy because it has 89% cloudless nights a year. It currently hosts the 1.5 m (5 ft) Hexapod-Telescope and other telescopes at the Cerro Armazones Observatory.
Supermoon rising up from behind Cerro Armazones.
Carving a route to Armazones, with Cerro Paranal and the Very Large Telescope in the background.
Result of the apparent motion of the stars through the southern sky.
After the groundbreaking back in June 2014, work continues on Cerro Armazones in preparation for construction work on the E-ELT.
- Joint Operations Graphic (JPEG) (Map) (1st ed.). 1 : 250,000. 1501. Defence Mapping Agency Topographic Center. 1974. p. Sheet SG 19-2.
- "The Extremely Large Telescope". www.eso.org. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- Schöck, M.; Els, S.; Riddle, R.; Skidmore, W.; Travouillon, T.; Blum, R.; Bustos, E.; Chanan, G.; Djorgovski, S. G.; Gillett, P.; Gregory, B.; Nelson, J.; Otárola, A.; Seguel, J.; Vasquez, J.; Walker, A.; Walker, D.; Wang, L. (1 April 2009). "Thirty Meter Telescope Site Testing I: Overview". Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific. 121 (878): 384–395. arXiv: . Bibcode:2009PASP..121..384S. doi:10.1086/599287.
- "E-ELT Site Chosen". Europe: European Southern Observatory. 26 April 2010. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- "Supermoon beckons in the new year". www.eso.org. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- "Ripples Across the Chilean Sky". ESO Picture of the Week. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
|This Antofagasta Region location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|