|Born||18 August 1983|
|Associated acts||Symphonix International, Electric Church, Poli Genova, Kristian Kostov, Famous Oberogo|
Cesár Sampson (born 18 August 1983 in Linz) is an Austrian singer, songwriter, producer, dancer and model. He was also a social worker and fitness teacher. He represented Austria in the Eurovision Song Contest 2018 with the song "Nobody but You", winning the jury vote, coming in 13th place in the televote and finishing in third place overall.
Life and career
At the age of seventeen, he started touring locally and internationally. He was a backing singer on Austrian version of Dancing With the Stars. In the music production domain, he was part of the music formation Symphonix International, a musical production and events project, mostly active in Austria and Bulgaria with Boby Milanov as CEO. He also worked with the formation Electric Church.
Eurovision Song Contest
2016 and 2017
Sampson performed backing vocals for the Bulgarian acts for two consecutive years in the Eurovision Song Contest. In Eurovision 2016, he was backing Poli Genova in "If Love Was a Crime". The song finished 4th place overall. And in Eurovision 2017, he backed Kristian Kostov during his performance of "Beautiful Mess". The song finished second overall behind the winning song from Portugal.
On 5 December 2017, he was announced as the Austrian representative in the Eurovision Song Contest 2018. He sang "Nobody but You". The song is composed by Sampson himself as well as Boris Milanov and Sebastian Arman, who have been involved in the composition of a number of songs for Bulgaria. He went on to win the jury vote with 271 points, but finished third overall, after taking into account the televoting where he ranked 13th with 71 points, thus preserving him the third overall position, with the public vote favouring Israel as the winner and Cyprus as the runner-up. This was the third highest ranking of all Austrian entries after its two Eurovision winning songs, first in Eurovision 1966 with "Merci, Chérie" by Udo Jürgens and 48 years later in Eurovision 2014 with "Rise like a Phoenix" with Conchita Wurst. In the same year, appeared as a guest star in the Christmas edition of the Spanish TV program Operación Triunfo
Sampson was born in Linz, Austria. His father is a choreographer and pilates master teacher and introduced pilates in the German-speaking countries. Cesár himself became a personal trainer and strength and mobility coach in pilates. His mother was a pianist, singer and songwriter most famous for co-writing and performing the theme song of the popular Austrian TV series Inspector Rex (German: Kommissar Rex). Sampson is also the nephew of Helen "Pepsi" DeMacque from the 1980s duo Pepsi & Shirlie. She also sang as a lead vocalist for Mike Oldfield.
He worked for many years as a social worker. He studied sports sciences getting a diploma and starting at age 20, he worked for several years as a physical therapist, and in particular, worked with people with disabilities and handicaps. Cesár Sampson has done modeling, and is signed to a Slovak model agency. He is a vegetarian.
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Nobody but You"||2018||1||9||97||93||63||80||55||45||62||Non-album singles|
|"Sign"||2007||Trishes, Piakhan||Sign / New Wave|
- "Cesar Sampson tritt für Österreich beim Song Contest an" (in German). DiePresse.com. 2017-12-05. Retrieved 2018-03-11.
- Jordan, Paul (5 December 2017). "Cesár Sampson to represent Austria in 2018!". eurovision.tv. EBU.
- Granger, Anthony (5 December 2017). "Austria: Cesár Sampson To Eurovision 2018". Eurovoix.
- Gallagher, Robyn (5 December 2017). "HAIL CESAR! ORF REVEALS CESAR SAMPSON WILL REPRESENT AUSTRIA AT EUROVISION 2018". Wiwibloggs.
- "Austria: Cesár Sampson To Sing "Nobody But You" in Lisbon - Eurovoix". Eurovoix. 2017-12-07. Retrieved 2017-12-08.
- Cesar Simpson — Interview in London 2018, ESCunited, 9 April 2018, retrieved 19 April 2018 – via YouTube
- "Eurovision 2018 — Cesár Sampson (Austria) / Сезар Сэмпсон (Австрия)". Esckaz.com. Archived from the original on 20 August 2018. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "Discographie Cesár Sampson". austriancharts.at. Retrieved 23 May 2018.
- "Discografie Cesár Sampson". Ultratop. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- "Discographie Cesár Sampson". lescharts.com. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "Cesár Sampson – German Charts". GfK. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- "Official Scottish Singles Chart Top 100: 18 May 2018 – 24 May 2018". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- "Discography Cesár Sampson". spanishcharts.com. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "Discography Cesár Sampson". swedishcharts.com. Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- "Discographie Cesár Sampson". hitparade.ch. Retrieved 21 May 2018.
- "Official Singles Downloads Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 19 May 2018.
- "Sign / New Wave - EP by Tishes". iTunes. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
with "Running on Air"
| Austria in the Eurovision Song Contest