Cesar Chavez, Texas
|Cesar Chavez, Texas|
|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||3.2 sq mi (8.3 km2)|
|• Land||3.2 sq mi (8.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||85 ft (26 m)|
|• Density||600/sq mi (230/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1852692|
Cesar Chavez is a census-designated place (CDP) in Hidalgo County, Texas. The population was 1,929 at the 2010 United States Census. It is part of the McAllen–Edinburg–Mission Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Cesar Chavez is located at (26.302748, -98.109332).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,469 people, 445 households, and 372 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 457.6 people per square mile (176.7/km2). There were 793 housing units at an average density of 247.0/sq mi (95.4/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 77.67% White, 0.07% Native American, 20.15% from other races, and 2.11% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 81.55% of the population.
There were 445 households out of which 41.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.5% were married couples living together, 12.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 16.4% were non-families. 14.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.30 and the average family size was about 3.654.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 33.2% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 23.6% from 25 to 44, 16.3% from 45 to 64, and 17.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 91.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $20,491, and the median income for a family was $23,088. Males had a median income of $19,063 versus $25,789 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $9,432. About 26.9% of families and 31.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 56.8% of those under age 18 and 10.2% of those age 65 or over.
In addition, South Texas Independent School District operates magnet schools that serve the community.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Hidalgo County, TX." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- Cesar Chavez CDP map. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- "2013-2014 Elementary School Boundaries" (Partial). Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District. Boundaries approved on April 2, 2013. Details of attendance zones: Eisenhower, Gorena, Lyndon B. Johnson, Lincoln. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- "2015-2016 Middle School Boundaries" (Partial). Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District. Boundaries approved on March 29, 2011. Detail of Memorial Middle Zone. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.
- "2015-2016 High Schools Approved Boundaries" (Partial). Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District. Detail of Economedes Zone. Retrieved on January 2, 2017.