Cessna 404 Titan
|1977 model Cessna 404 Titan II|
|Role||Light passenger/cargo aircraft|
|First flight||26 February 1975|
|Developed from||Cessna 402|
The Cessna Model 404 Titan is an American twin-engined, propeller-driven light aircraft built by Cessna Aircraft. It was that company's largest twin piston-engined aircraft at the time of its development in the 1970s. Its US military designation is C-28, and Swedish Air Force designation TP 87.
The Cessna 404 was a development of the Cessna 402 with an enlarged vertical tail and other changes. The prototype first flew on 26 February 1975. It is powered by two 375 hp/280 kW turbocharged Continental Motors GTSIO-520 piston engines. Two versions were offered originally; the Titan Ambassador passenger aircraft for ten passengers, and the Titan Courier utility aircraft for passengers or cargo. By early 1982 seven different variants were available, including a pure cargo version, the Titan Freighter. The Freighter was fitted with a strengthened floor, cargo doors, and its interior walls and ceiling were made from impact-resistant polycarbonate materials to minimize damage in the event of cargo breaking free in-flight.
- Titan Ambassador - Basic 10-seat passenger aircraft.
- Titan Ambassador II - Ambassador with factory fitted avionics.
- Titan Ambassador III - Ambassador with factory fitted avionics.
- Titan Courier - Convertible passenger/cargo version.
- Titan Courier II - Courier with factory fitted avionics.
- Titan Freighter - Cargo version.
- Titan Freighter II - Freighter with factory fitted avionics.
- C-28A Titan - Designation given to two aircraft purchased by the United States Navy.
- United States Navy (as the C-28A)
- Puerto Rico Police Department Two C404
- Crew: 2
- Capacity: 10
- Length: 39 ft 6¼ in (12.04 m)
- Wingspan: 46 ft 4 in (14.12 m)
- Height: 13 ft 3 in (4.04 m)
- Wing area: 242 ft² (22.48 m²)
- Empty weight: 4,834 lb (2,192 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 8,400 lb (3,810 kg)
- Powerplant: 2 × Continental Motors GTSIO-520-M flat-six geared turbosupercharged injected piston, 375 hp (280 kW) each
- Maximum speed: 267 mph (430 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 188 mph (303 km/h)
- Range: 2,119 miles (3,410 km)
- Service ceiling: 26,000 ft (7,925 m)
- Related development
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985). Orbis Publishing.
- Simpson, R.W. (1991). Airlife's General Aviation. Shrewsbury, England: Airlife Publishing. ISBN 1-85310-194-X.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cessna 404.|