Cessna Citation Sovereign
|First flight||February 2002|
|Number built||> 300|
US$17.895 million (2015)
The Cessna Citation Sovereign (Cessna Model 680 Sovereign) is an American mid-size business jet developed by Cessna. It is currently the second largest member of the Citation product line in terms of take-off weight, with only the Citation X having roughly 6000 lbs greater take-off weight. The Sovereign is considered a transcontinental aircraft with the capability to fly Los Angeles to Hawaii greater than 98% of the time, while complying with ETOPS requirements, and is used primarily for corporate travel.
Design and development
In the late 1990s, Cessna saw the need for a high-performance jet midway between the Excel/XLS size and the Citation X. The result was the Model 680 Citation Sovereign, powered by two Pratt & Whitney Canada PW306C turbofan engines with FADEC controls. It uses the Honeywell Primus Epic glass cockpit avionics suite, coupled with dual Honeywell FMZ2000 FMS units. Its claim to fame is that it can take off and land in short distances, thanks to a moderately swept high aspect ratio wing, and (when light) 92 knot Vref speed. It was first unveiled to the public in 1998 at the NBAA exhibition in Las Vegas, Nevada. The Sovereign seats eight passengers in a typical cabin configuration, with a maximum high-density capacity of 12, in addition to the crew of two.
Specifications (Citation Sovereign)
- Crew: 2
- Capacity: 12 passengers / 2,689 lb (1,220 kg) payload
- Length: 63 ft 6.0 in (19.354 m)
- Wingspan: 72 ft 4 in (22.04 m)
- Height: 20 ft 4 in (6.2 m)
- Wing area: 543 sq ft (50.4 m2)
- Empty weight: 18,100 lb (8,210 kg)
- Max takeoff weight: 30,300 lb (13,744 kg)
- Powerplant: 2 × Pratt & Whitney Canada PW306D turbofan engines, 5,770 lbf (25.7 kN) thrust each at sea level up to 87 °F (31 °C)
- Maximum continuous thrust: 5,770 lbf (26 kN) up to 80 °F (27 °C)
Honeywell Primus Epic FMZ2000FMS
- Related development
- Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- "Business Jets Specification and Performance Data" (PDF). Business & Commercial Aviation (Aviation Week). May 2015.
- The Cessna 680 Citation Sovereign from Airliners.net
- Citation 680 Sovereign info from Aviation Safety Network
- "Citation Sovereign+ business jet receives EASA certification" Press Release.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cessna Citation Sovereign.|