Château de Roquetaillade
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This new castle was square in plan with six towers and a central keep. The entire structure was restored and transformed by Viollet-le-Duc and one of his pupils, Duthoit, between 1860 and 1870. The extraordinary interior decorations, with its furnishings and paintings, were created by Viollet-le-Duc and are listed as French Heritage.
The château park includes remains of the medieval curtain wall with the barbican, the Pesquey stream and its banks, the 19th century chalet, and the Crampet pigeon loft.
The castle has been lived in by the same family for over 700 years. It has been open to the public since 1956 and is the most visited in the Bordeaux region. Open all year round, visits in English with the owners are also possible.
Other activities at the castle include a famous production of white Graves wines "Chateaufort de Roquetaillade", and Bazadais cattle breeding.
- Ministry of Culture: Domaine de Roquetaillade (in French)
- "Historique du Château -Anglais-". free.fr.
- "Films, téléfilms, émissions tournés à Roquetaillade". free.fr.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Château de Roquetaillade.|
- Official site in English
- Article and photos on the Château de Roquetaillade
- Ministry of Culture listing (in French)
- Ministry of Culture photos