|Intercommunality||Entre Allier et Bois Noirs|
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Tony Bernard|
|Area1||28.43 km2 (10.98 sq mi)|
|• Density||27/km2 (71/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||63102 /63290|
|Elevation||285–862 m (935–2,828 ft)
(avg. 300 m or 980 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
About the town
Châteldon is a medieval village in the northern part of Auvergne. It dates from the early Middle Ages, with many of its buildings dating back to the 14th century. The town's fortifications are still in evidence.
The village lies on the western edge of the Montagne Bourbonnaise and the northern edge of the Livradois-Forez Regional Natural Park, the largest nature park in Europe. To the west lies the Limagne, where the Allier and Dore rivers converge. Nineteen kilometres to the north is the City of Vichy.
Château de Châteldon was purchased by Pierre Laval, who went on to serve as the French Prime Minister from 1942 to 1944, in September 1931. Laval purchased it from Léon Sénèque. As of 2014, the castle belonged to the Josée and René de Chambrun Foundation.
Châteldon is known for its naturally carbonated mineral water. It was the first mineral water exploited in France and transported by bottles to the Court of Louis XIV in Versailles. This water is used for its diuretic and digestive properties. It is also rich in potassium, sodium and fluorine. In France, one finds the water of Châteldon in the large hotels and restaurants, and in delicatessens. In 1650, the first doctor of the king, Guy-Crescent Fagon, praised the virtues of Châteldon to Louis XIV.
- "Décret 2014-210 du 21 février 2014 portant délimitation des cantons dans le département du Puy-de-Dôme" [2014-210 decree delimiting cantons of Puy-de-Dôme department]. Légifrance (in French). 21 February 2014. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Commune de Châteldon (63102)" [Commune of Châteldon (63102)]. Insee (in French). Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "List of Mayors of Puy-de-Dôme" (PDF). Prefecture of Puy-de-Dôme. 9 April 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Kupferman, Fred (2015). Pierre Laval (2nd ed.). Paris: Tallandier. pp. 87–118. ISBN 9782847342543 – via Cairn.info. (Registration required (. ))
- Gondeau, Jean-Paul (August 8, 2014). "A Châteldon, le château du dernier propriétaire, proscrit et renié, ne se visite pas". La Montagne (in French). Retrieved July 8, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Châteldon.|