Cha Cha Slide
|"Cha Cha Slide"|
|Single by DJ Casper|
|from the album Cha-Cha Slide: The Original Slide Album|
|Released||August 2, 2000|
|Studio||Big Bobby Studio|
|Songwriter(s)||Willie Perry Jr. & Mike Schondek|
|Producer(s)||Willie Perry & The Platinum Band, Frederick Johnson|
"Cha Cha Slide" is a song by American artist DJ Casper, also known as Mr. C The Slide Man. The song was released as a single in August 2000, and spent five weeks on the chart of Billboard Hot 100, peaking at the position of number 83. It continued to hit charts throughout the world for four years, topping the UK Singles Chart in March 2004.
The song was also part of an eleven track album, Cha Cha Slide: The Original Slide Album, released in September 2000. Originally aimed at aerobics sessions and night clubs alike, the song is often played at dance clubs, school PE/dances/proms, parties, ice and roller skating rinks, bar mitzvahs, weddings, and sporting events in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and other English-speaking countries.
Casper Slide Pts 1 & 2
DJ Casper wrote the lyrics for the original around January 1998, and recorded his performance of the original version of the "Casper Slide Part 1" in January 1998.
The song was heavily inspired by the Chicago stepping movement. Around June 12, 1999, Perry recorded a second version of the song, entitled "Casper Slide Part 2," at the home studio of Fred Johnson with the help of Hollywood Scott, band leader for the Platinum Band.
Perry recorded and released the song at his own expense, and manufactured copies and distributed them with the help of Gardner Douglas ("Cisco"), owner of the Cisco's Music World record stores in Chicago, Illinois. The song was played at various night clubs and was used by Perry's nephew, a fitness trainer at Bally Total Fitness Health Club in Chicago's Hyde Park neighborhood, as the music for a step aerobics class.
Cha Cha Slide
DJ Casper enlisted the help of M.O.B. Music Publishing to produce, edit, and engineer the new version of the song "Cha Cha Slide". Men On Business also produced several other accompanying songs to produce the entire Slide Album. DJ Casper and Men On Business licensed the Slide Album to Universal Records, and it was released on September 19, 2000.
Once it was Universal's project, "we made some instructional 'Cha-Cha Slide' dance videos and distributed them to clubs," said Senior VP of Urban Promotion Michael Horton. "We also promoted the song at various black functions, such as homecoming events at black colleges." The song then made its way to R&B/hip hop station WGCI-FM, in DJ Casper's hometown of Chicago.
In 2001, the following year, the dance caught on around Canada and the United States, where urban contemporary radio stations (and later mobile DJs) played the song continuously, particularly in Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, Arkansas, Memphis, and Detroit. In March 2004, the "Cha Cha Slide" was released in the United Kingdom, and went on to top the UK Singles Chart. Its success in the United Kingdom was helped by Scott Mills of BBC Radio 1, who promoted the song on his weekday afternoon radio show.
|1.||"Cha-Cha Slide" (radio edit)||3:46|
|2.||"Cha-Cha Slide" (club edit)||7:44|
|3.||"Bus Stop/Electric Slide"||Charles Green Hudson Beaudy||4:45|
|4.||"Casper Slide Part 2"||With Live Platinum Band||6:27|
|5.||"Step To This"||Colta / Ken Uchida||5:29|
|8.||"Bus Stop/Electric Slide" (original)||Charles Green Hudson Beaudy||7:55|
|9.||"DJ Eric-B Slide"||DJ Eric-B||9:45|
|10.||"Step To This"||Colta / Ken Uchida||5:29|
Charts and certifications
Crazy Frog version
|"Cha Cha Slide"|
|Single by Crazy Frog|
|from the album Everybody Dance Now|
|Released||August 25, 2009|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Recorded||June 23, 2009|
|Label||MOB Music Publishing|
|Songwriter(s)||William Perry Jr.|
|Crazy Frog singles chronology|
- "US Copyright Office". Recording Industry Association of America. RIAA. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 696. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "DJ Casper tops UK singles chart". BBC News. March 14, 2004. Retrieved April 28, 2010.
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia's Music Charts 1988–2010. Mt. Martha, VIC, Australia: Moonlight Publishing.
- "Ultratop.be – DJ Casper – Cha Cha Slide" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – DJ Casper – Cha Cha Slide" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Lescharts.com – DJ Casper – Cha Cha Slide" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – DJ Casper – Cha Cha Slide". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Cha Cha Slide". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved January 15, 2020.
- "Top 10 Dance Singles, Week Ending 11 March 2004". GfK Chart-Track. Retrieved June 17, 2019.
- "Italiancharts.com – DJ Casper – Cha Cha Slide". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 18, 2004" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40
- "Dutchcharts.nl – DJ Casper – Cha Cha Slide" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Swisscharts.com – DJ Casper – Cha Cha Slide". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Mr C the Slide Man Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved June 17, 2019.
- "Mr. C the Slide Man Chart History (Dance Singles Sales)". Billboard. Retrieved January 15, 2020.
- "Mr C the Slide Man Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved June 17, 2019.
- "Jaaroverzichten 2004" (in Dutch). Ultratop. Retrieved June 17, 2019.
- "Rapports annuels 2004" (in French). Ultratop. Retrieved June 17, 2019.
- "Classement Singles – année 2004" (in French). Archived from the original on March 5, 2012. Retrieved June 17, 2019.
- "Jaaroverzichten – Single 2004" (in Dutch). MegaCharts. Retrieved June 17, 2019.
- "The Official UK Singles Chart 2004" (PDF). UKChartsPlus. Retrieved July 7, 2018.
- "British single certifications – DJ Casper – Cha Cha Slide". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 7 July 2018. Select singles in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Type Cha Cha Slide in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "Lescharts.com – Crazy Frog – Cha Cha Slide" (in French). Les classement single.
- on YouTube