This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Olivia "Chachi" Gonzales|
|Born||Olivia Irene Gonzales
January 23, 1996
Houston, Texas, U.S.
Los Angeles, California
|Occupation||Dancer, choreographer, actress|
Olivia Irene Gonzales (born January 23, 1996), better known as Chachi Gonzales, is an American dancer, choreographer and occasional actress. She is a member of the dance crew I.aM.mE, which won the sixth season of America's Best Dance Crew in 2011.
Life and career
Olivia Irene "Chachi" Gonzales, of Mexican descent, was born in Houston, Texas. At the age of 6, Gonzales enrolled at a local dance studio and was trained as a ballet dancer. Three years later at a dance event she attended, Gonzales witnessed a hip hop dance crew for the first time. One of the crews there was Marvelous Motion, whose members (Phillip Chbeeb, Di Zhang and Brandon Harrell) would later become her fellow crew members in I.aM.mE. Gonzales became immediately intrigued and decided to participate in hip hop from then on. She enrolled at Lanier Middle School where hip hop was one of the dance styles taught. She was reserved at first, but after months of training Gonzales honed her skills and became more confident. Eventually, Gonzales' dance teacher, impressed with Gonzales' skill, asked her to lead the group she was being taught in. Shortly after, her mother located the Marvelous Motion Studios and enrolled her in a few classes. From then on, Gonzales continued to dance as much as possible, honing her skills.
In 2010, after the disbandment of Marvelous Motion, its three members Phillip "Pacman" Chbeeb, Di "Moon" Zhang and Brandon "747" Harrell held an audition to create a new crew, I.aM.mE. Added to the lineup were the three new members: Olivia "Chachi" Gonzales, Emilio "Millie" Dosal, and Jana "Jaja" Vaňková in preparation for America's Best Dance Crew: Season of the Superstars. Gonzales was the youngest member of I.aM.mE.
Workshops and tours
From 2011 to the present, Gonzales has taught many dance classes and workshops worldwide, including the United States, Philippines, Belgium, Russia, the UK, Ireland, Mexico, Spain, Germany, Slovenia, Poland, Portugal, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Thailand and India.
Gonzales' family nicknamed her "Chachi", short for "muchachita", when she was younger. "Muchachita" means "little girl" in Spanish.
In 2011, Gonzales and her family created a brand of apparel and sweatpants.
Her own clothing line, Dotheads By Chachi, was released in January 2014.
Awards and appearances
Gonzales was one of the backup dancers for the Tribute to Britney Spears as part of the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards.
At the 2014 WorldFest-Houston International Film Festival awards, Gonzales won the Remi Award for Best Supporting Actress for The Legend of DarkHorse County. In 2015, she won the silver Remi Awards for Original Comedy Short for the 2014 In the News episode "Dog Day" and for the AXI episode "Alive" for Best Dramatic Original Short Film. All of these films were produced by Welling Films of Houston, Texas.
In May 2015, Gonzales visited the Philippines for the second time to judge in the grand finals of the Jagthug World Dance Off competition which was held at the Mall of Asia Arena in Manila on May 30, 2015. Judging alongside her were Misha Gabriel and Andrew Veluz. They also taught two days of dance workshops at SM Megamall.
In August 2016, she made an appearance on the Nickelodeon TV show, Make It Pop.
- Music videos
Gonzales has appeared in several music videos:
- Adam Irigoyen - "School Girl" (2012)
- Jason Chen - "Thank You" (2013)
- Meghan Trainor - "Lips Are Movin" (2014)
- "America's Best Dance Crew Season 6: Finale Recap : RealityWanted.com: Reality TV, Game Show, Talk Show, News – All Things Unscripted Social Network Casting Community". RealityWanted.com. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- Sorich, Sonya (June 5, 2011). "ABDC Season 6 winner: I Am Me wins America's Best Dance Crew 2011 | Television | Columbus Ledger Enquirer". Ledger-enquirer.com. Retrieved June 27, 2012.
- "DH - THE OFFICIAL LINE OF CHACHI GONZALES". DH.
- "WOD 2012 Industry Awards: Teen Choreographer of the Year – Chachi Gonzales". Worldofdance.com. September 6, 2011. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- ""Shake It Up!" Wrestle It Up (TV episode 2012) – IMDb". Uk.imdb.com. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- "Olivia "Chachi" Gonzales | DanceMedia, LLC". Dancespirit.com. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- "We Are Monster High® Dance Tutorial with Chachi Gonzales". YouTube. 2013-06-17. Retrieved 2013-12-11.
- Leslie Parker (April 4, 2014). "The Legend of DarkHorse County (2014)". IMDb.
- "Shawn Welling Presents: A Double Film Screening of DarkHorse & The Messenger". DancersGlobal. April 5, 2012. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- Angel Alzona (January 27, 2012). "Friday Feature – Chachi: DarkHorse". Art Room Collective. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- "AXI 5 (Full Feature): The Legend of Dark Horse County". Facebook. Retrieved June 25, 2012.
- "Chachi Gonzales Joins the cast of Hulu's East Los High Soap". soaps.about.com. Retrieved March 26, 2014.
- "WorldFest-Houston International Film Festival wraps up 47th season". www.herehouston.com.
- "In the News (TV Series 2014– )". IMDb.
- ""AXI: Avengers of eXtreme Illusions" Alive (TV Episode 2014)". IMDb.
- "About - Jag Thug". jagthugworlddanceoff.com.
- "Adam Irigoyen – School Girl". YouTube. November 11, 2012. Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- "Thank You" - Official Music Video (Jason Chen Original) ft. ChaChi. YouTube. February 13, 2013.
- Meghan Trainor - Lips Are Movin. YouTube. November 19, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chachi Gonzales.|