|Elevation||3 ft (0.9 m)|
|Area||28.6 sq mi (74.1 km2)|
|- land||28.6 sq mi (74 km2)|
|- water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2), 0%|
|Density||140.7/sq mi (54.3/km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Location of Louisiana in the United States
Chackbay is a census-designated place (CDP) in northern Lafourche Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 4,018 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Houma–Bayou Cane–Thibodaux Metropolitan Statistical Area.
It is a part of the "Ward 6" area of Lafourche Parish.
Chackbay is located at (29.889113, -90.752009).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 28.6 square miles (74 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,018 people, 1,440 households, and 1,140 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 140.7 people per square mile (54.3/km²). There were 1,503 housing units at an average density of 52.6 per square mile (20.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 94.47% White, 3.98% African American, 0.70% Native American, 0.27% Asian, 0.10% from other races, and 0.47% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.75% of the population.
There were 1,440 households out of which 40.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.7% were married couples living together, 9.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.8% were non-families. 17.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.79 and the average family size was 3.16.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 27.5% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 33.8% from 25 to 44, 20.9% from 45 to 64, and 8.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 98.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.7 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $37,357, and the median income for a family was $41,934. Males had a median income of $31,139 versus $19,443 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $15,389. About 10.2% of families and 13.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.7% of those under age 18 and 12.3% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
Residents are served by the Ward 6 Senior Citizens Center.
- "Chackbay 101 Pump Station." Lafourche Parish. Retrieved on December 2, 2016.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Home. Chackbay Elementary School. Retrieved on November 30, 2016.
- "SCHOOL ATTENDANCE BOUNDARIES." Lafourche Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on December 2, 2016. Based on the text description of the school boundaries
- Legendre, Raymond (2009-01-09). "Senior center’s walking trail has tire tracks". The Daily Comet. Archived from the original on 2015-12-01. Retrieved 2016-12-03.
- Barone, Michael; and Ujifusa, Grant. The Almanac of American Politics 1988', p. 494. National Journal, 1987.