On 25 February 1976, Chad and Mexico established diplomatic relations. Initial relations between both nations have been limited and have mainly taken place in multilateral forums such as at the United Nations. In March 2002, Chadian Prime Minister Nagoum Yamassoum attended the Monterrey Consensus in the Mexican city of Monterrey where he met with Mexican President Vicente Fox.
During the Chadian Civil War and Opération Épervier, Mexican mercenaries have been hired by Chadian President Idriss Déby, to fight against rebel forces trying to remove President Déby from power. The Mexican mercenaries were hired to fly Mil Mi-17 attack helicopters, which the Mexican Air Force also uses.
In February 2013, Mexico welcomed the ratification by Chad of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty. In April 2014, Chadian Minister of Planning and International Cooperation, Mariam Mahamat Nour paid a visit to Mexico to attend the Global Partnership for Effective Development Cooperation conference in Mexico City. That same year, in May 2014, Chadian Minister of Agriculture and of the Environment, Baïwong Djibergui Amane Rosine paid a visit to Cancún to attend the Assembly of the Global Environment Facility conference.
Chadian-born playwright, poet, novelist and university lecturer, Koulsy Lamko is a laureate of the Chadian Literary Grand Prix. He resides in Mexico City where he directs Casa Refugio Hankili So África, a center of artistic residence and writers of people of African ancestry and from the black diaspora.
High-level visits from Chad to Mexico
- Prime Minister Nagoum Yamassoum (2002)
- Minister of Planning and International Cooperation Mariam Mahamat Nour (2014)
- Minister of Agriculture Baïwong Djibergui Amane Rosine (2014)
In 2018, trade between Chad and Mexico totaled $509 thousand dollars USD. Chad's main exports to Mexico include: copper or aluminum metal laminate; modular circuits; photosensitive semiconductor devices, including photovoltaic cells; and footwear sewing machines. Mexico's main exports to Chad include: polyvalent antivenom serum; washers, valves or other parts for technical use; screws; keys or pins; gaskets; plugs or caps; refrigeration compression groups; memory units; and magnetic keys.
- Chad is accredited to Mexico from its embassy in Washington, D.C., United States.
- Mexico is accredited to Chad from its embassy in Cairo, Egypt.
- Bilateral relations between Mexico and Chad (in Spanish)
- Monterrey Consensus
- La France dément avoir sauvé le président Idriss Déby (in French)
- Relève en vue pour les « mercenaires » (in French)
- Celebra México ratificación de Chad para prohibir ensayos nucleares (in Spanish)
- Casas Refugio: México, un amparo para el pensamiento (in Spanish)
- L’écrivain Koulsy Lamko récompensé par le Grand Prix littéraire 2018 (in French)
- Mexican Ministry of the Economy: Chad (in Spanish)
- Embassy of Chad in the United States
- Embassy of Mexico in Egypt