Bettis pitching for the Colorado Rockies in 2016
|Colorado Rockies – No. 35|
|Born: April 26, 1989|
|August 1, 2013, for the Colorado Rockies|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Earned run average||5.01|
Chad Robert Bettis (born April 26, 1989) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Colorado Rockies of Major League Baseball (MLB). He made his MLB debut in 2013. Prior to playing professionally, he attended Texas Tech University, where he played college baseball for the Texas Tech Red Raiders.
Bettis attended Monterey High School in Lubbock, Texas. Playing for the school's baseball team, Bettis was named to the all-region team before his senior season. He was drafted by the Houston Astros in the eighth round of the 2007 MLB Draft, but did not sign. He attended Texas Tech University, where he played college baseball for the Texas Tech Red Raiders baseball team. The Colorado Rockies selected Bettis in the second round, with the 76th overall selection, of the 2010 MLB Draft.
Bettis missed the 2012 season due to a shoulder injury. Prior to the 2013 season, MLB named him the fourth best prospect in the Rockies system. He was promoted to the major leagues to make his debut on August 1, 2013. He allowed five runs in five innings, taking the loss. He struck out just one batter and issued five walks.
The Rockies transitioned Bettis into a relief pitcher in 2014. Bettis struggled with an ERA of 9.12 in 21 games before being demoted to the minors. With the Colorado Springs Sky Sox of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League, Bettis returned to the starting rotation on August 4, 2014. Bettis came to spring training in 2015 prepared to pitch as a starter, and was optioned to the minor leagues.
Bettis spent the entire 2016 season in the Rockies' starting rotation, pitching to a 4.79 ERA in 189 innings pitched. In early December 2016, Bettis was diagnosed with testicular cancer. After undergoing surgery to remove a testicle, he expected to make a full recovery during the offseason. In March 2017, he revealed that the cancer spread, and required chemotherapy.
On August 14, 2017, Bettis made his first appearance in the majors since being diagnosed with cancer, pitching against the Atlanta Braves. He pitched 7 scoreless innings, struck out two, and gave up 6 hits. He was placed on the disabled list on July 3, 2018, with a blister injury.
Bettis and his wife, Kristina, had a daughter in April 2017.
- "Bettis named to all-region team | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal". Lubbock Online. March 13, 2007. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- MICHAEL GRAHAM / Special Contributor to SportsDayDFW.com. "Rockies take Texas Tech's Chad Bettis in MLB draft | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - SportsDayDFW". Dallasnews.com. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- Moss, Irv. "Chad Bettis doing his best to get on the Colorado Rockies' radar". The Denver Post. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Bettis likely choice to start Thursday vs. Braves | Rockies.com: News". Colorado.rockies.mlb.com. May 24, 2013. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "TEXASTECH.COM Chad Bettis Starts for Rockies in MLB Debut - Texas Tech University Official Athletic Site". texastech.com. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Colorado Rockies right-hander Chad Bettis breezes through eight innings for Colorado Springs Sky Sox - MiLB.com News - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Jhoulys Chacin's departure puts pressure on veteran pitchers". denverpost.com. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Ranking the Rockies, No. 10: Chad Bettis". November 8, 2016. Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- "Rockies' Bettis diagnosed with testicular cancer". ESPN. Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- "Chad Bettis needs chemotherapy after cancer spreads in Rockies pitcher". Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- "Chad Bettis returns from cancer treatment, helps Rockies blank Braves". USA Today. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- "Bettis becomes dad, helps Gray from afar". MLB.com. Retrieved April 19, 2017.