May 1, 1985
Hanford, California, United States
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10 st 5 lb)|
|Reach||66.0 in (168 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Team||Team Alpha Male|
|Wrestling||NCAA Division I Wrestling|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||California Polytechnic State University|
|Notable school(s)||Hanford High School|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Chad Mendes (born May 1, 1985) is an American mixed martial artist who competes as a Featherweight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Mendes is ranked the #5 featherweight in the world by Sherdog, MMACountry.com, and #8 featherweight in the world by Fight Matrix.
- 1 Wrestling career
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Championships and accomplishments
- 5 Mixed martial arts record
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Mendes wrestled for Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. He finished his career with an overall record of 64–14 and twice earned NCAA All-American honors. As a senior, Mendes finished the year with a 30–1 record; he placed 2nd in the 2008 NCAA championships at 141 lb., falling to Ohio State's J Jaggers in the title match. That year, Mendes was Pac-10 Wrestler of the Year.
Mixed martial arts career
After the conclusion of his collegiate career, Mendes began to train with the mixed martial arts team Team Alpha Male. He began fighting for the Palace Fighting Championship and went undefeated.
World Extreme Cagefighting
Mendes made his WEC debut against Erik Koch on March 6, 2010 at WEC 47. He won the fight via unanimous decision, despite a cut over his right eye that was examined during the fight to see if he could continue.
Mendes faced Javier Vazquez on November 11, 2010 at WEC 52 and defeated him via unanimous decision. Mendes was able to utilize his improved striking to compliment his superior wrestling to dictate where he wanted to take the action. During the fight, Mendes used an unorthodox move when he front flipped on Vazquez who was on the ground, to land on him.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Following UFC 129, Dana White mentioned in the post-fight press conference that Mendes may have a shot at the title against UFC featherweight champion José Aldo. Although the two were expected to fight on August 6, 2011 at UFC 133, Aldo would be sidelined until October recovering from various injuries sustained during the Hominick bout. Mendes instead faced Rani Yahya at the event. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
Mendes was expected to face Hacran Dias on December 15, 2012 at UFC on FX 6. However just days before the event, Dias pulled out of the bout citing a shoulder injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Yaotzin Meza. Mendes defeated Meza via KO at 3:38 in the first round.
Mendes was expected to face Manvel Gamburyan on February 23, 2013 at UFC 157. However, Gamburyan pulled out of the bout, citing a thumb injury. Subsequently, Mendes was pulled from the card as a suitable replacement could not be found on short notice.
Mendes was expected to face Clay Guida on April 20, 2013 at UFC on Fox 7. However it was revealed on March 15 that Guida had pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Darren Elkins. Mendes won the fight by TKO at 1:08 in the first round.
A rescheduled bout with Guida took place on August 31, 2013 at UFC 164. After a close first and second round, Mendes finished Guida via TKO by punches in the third round and became the first man to ever finish Guida by strikes. The win also earned Mendes his first Knockout of the Night bonus award.
A rematch with José Aldo was expected to take place on August 2, 2014 as the event headliner at UFC 176 for the UFC Featherweight Championship. However, in early July, Aldo pulled out of the bout with an injury. The rematch with Aldo was subsequently rescheduled and took place on October 25, 2014 at UFC 179. He became the first man to knock down Aldo by dropping him with a left hand, in the first round, Mendes and Aldo both rocked each other with clean punches, Mendes would go on to lose the fight via a very close unanimous decision. Despite the loss on the scorecards, Mendes was awarded his first Fight of the Night bonus award for the bout. The fight won World MMA Awards 2015 fight of the year award.
Mendes faced Ricardo Lamas on April 4, 2015 in the main event at UFC Fight Night 63. Mendes won the fight via TKO in the first round. The win also earned Mendes his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
On May 18, 2015 Dana White tweeted that Chad Mendes had agreed to an eight-fight contract with UFC.
José Aldo was expected to face Conor McGregor on July 11, 2015 at UFC 189 for the undisputed UFC Featherweight Championship. However, in the days leading up to the fight, Aldo pulled out of the bout because of a rib injury he sustained in training. Mendes stepped in as a short notice replacement to face McGregor for the interim championship. McGregor won the fight via TKO in the second round.
Doping Violation and Suspension
On June 10, 2016, the UFC announced that Mendes had been informed of a potential doping violation stemming from an out-of-competition test conducted by USADA. Mendes responded, "I didn't do my homework and that was a big mistake. I own it and I'm going to pay for it." On July 20, 2016, USADA reported that Mendes tested positive for GHRP-6, a growth hormone release stimulator, and suspended Mendes for 2 years. He will not be eligible to compete again until June 10, 2018.
Mendes founded the hunting and fishing guide service Finz and Featherz.
Mendes was charged with battery for alleged involvement in a bar fight on July 29, 2012 in his hometown of Hanford, California. The Kings County District Attorney’s Office announced on August 25, 2012, that it would seek a battery charge against Mendes. The charges were dropped after Mendes pleaded no contest to a count of public disturbance and paid a fine.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- World MMA Awards
- National Collegiate Athletic Association
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|21 matches||17 wins||4 losses|
|Loss||17–4||Frankie Edgar||KO (punch)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team McGregor vs. Team Faber Finale||December 11, 2015||1||2:28||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||17–3||Conor McGregor||TKO (punches)||UFC 189||July 11, 2015||2||4:57||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||For the interim UFC Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||17–2||Ricardo Lamas||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Mendes vs. Lamas||April 4, 2015||1||2:45||Fairfax, Virginia, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||16–2||José Aldo||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 179||October 25, 2014||5||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||For the UFC Featherweight Championship. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||16–1||Nik Lentz||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Benavidez 2||December 14, 2013||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||15–1||Clay Guida||TKO (punches)||UFC 164||August 31, 2013||3||0:30||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States||Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||14–1||Darren Elkins||KO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Melendez||April 20, 2013||1||1:08||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||13–1||Yaotzin Meza||KO (punches)||UFC on FX: Sotiropoulos vs. Pearson||December 15, 2012||1||1:55||Gold Coast, Australia|
|Win||12–1||Cody McKenzie||TKO (body punch)||UFC 148||July 7, 2012||1||0:31||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||11–1||José Aldo||KO (knee)||UFC 142||January 14, 2012||1||4:59||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||For the UFC Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||11–0||Rani Yahya||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 133||August 6, 2011||3||5:00||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||10–0||Michihiro Omigawa||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 126||February 5, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–0||Javier Vazquez||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 52||November 11, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||8–0||Cub Swanson||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 50||August 18, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||7–0||Anthony Morrison||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 48||April 24, 2010||1||2:13||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||6–0||Erik Koch||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 47||March 6, 2010||3||5:00||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Win||5–0||Mike Joy||Decision (unanimous)||Tachi Palace Fights 1||October 8, 2009||3||5:00||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Steven Siler||KO (punches)||TPF: Best of Both Worlds||July 16, 2009||1||0:44||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Art Arciniega||Decision (unanimous)||PFC: Best of Both Worlds 2||April 23, 2009||3||3:00||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Leland Gridley||TKO (punches)||PFC: Best of Both Worlds||February 6, 2009||2||1:58||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Giovanni Encarnacion||Submission (rear-naked choke)||PFC 10: Explosive||September 26, 2008||1||2:06||Lemoore, California, United States|
- Professional MMA record for Chad Mendes from Sherdog Archived from the original on October 10, 2016.
- "Fight Card – UFC 179 Aldo vs. Mendes 2". UFC.com. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- "Sherdog Prospect Watch: Chad Mendes". Sherdog.
- "Chad Mendes – Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- Official Rankings | MMA, BJJ, UFC, Mixed Martial Arts, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Ultimate Fighting Championships. MMACountry.com. Retrieved on 2016-12-30.
- "Sherdog Official Mixed Martial Arts Rankings". sherdog.com. July 19, 2015.
- Current MMA Rankings » Featherweight. Fight Matrix. Retrieved on 2016-12-30.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 11, 2011. Retrieved June 25, 2009.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 11, 2011. Retrieved June 25, 2009.
- "CHAD MENDES VS. ERIK KOCH ON FOR WEC COLUMBUS". MMAWeekly.com. 2010-01-26.
- "Chad Mendes replaces Mackens Semerzier, faces Anthony Morrison at WEC 48". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-04-08.
- "Chad Mendes vs Cub Swanson AT WEC 50 in August". MMAWeekly.com. 2010-06-22.
- "WEC 52 additions include Mendes-Vazquez". MMAjunkie.com. September 20, 2010. Archived from the original on September 22, 2010.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010. Archived from the original on October 31, 2010.
- "Chad Mendes vs. Michihiro Omigawa Official for UFC 126". bloodyelbow.com. December 21, 2010.
- Leland Roling (February 5, 2011). "UFC 126 Results: Chad Mendes Outworks Michihiro Omigawa, Wins by Decision". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved February 5, 2011.
- "Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis Headlines UFC 133; Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes Likely Delayed". MMAWeekly.com. May 17, 2011.
- "Jose Aldo Out of UFC 133 Featherweight Title Defense Against Chad Mendes". MMAmania.com. May 24, 2011.
- "Chad Mendes meets Rani Yahya at UFC 133 in Philadelphia". mmajunkie.com. May 24, 2011.
- Matthew Roth (August 6, 2011). "UFC 133 Results: Chad Mendes puts on a clinic against Rani Yahya". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved August 6, 2011.
- Michael David Smith (2012-01-14). "Jose Aldo knocks out Chad Mendes at UFC 142, keeps featherweight belt". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- Ben Fowlkes (2014-10-20). "For Chad Mendes, a few seconds, a fence grab, and a long time to dwell on a loss". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-10-20.
- "Featherweights Chad Mendes vs. Cody McKenzie added to UFC 148". mmajunkie.com. May 18, 2012.
- Dave Doyle (2012-07-07). "UFC 148 Results: Chad Mendes Makes Short Work of Cody McKenzie". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Hacran Dias vs. Chad Mendes set for UFC on FX 6". mmajunkie.com. October 1, 2012. Archived from the original on October 3, 2012.
- "Yaotzin Meza replaces Hacran Dias, meets Chad Mendes at Friday's UFC on FX 6". MMAjunkie.com. December 10, 2012. Archived from the original on December 12, 2012. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- "UFC on FX 6 results: Chad Mendes blasts late replacement Yaotzin Meza in first". mmajunkie.com. 2012-12-15. Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- "Chad Mendes vs. Manny Gamburyan added to February's UFC 157 event". cagereligion.com. Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- Pishna, Ken (2013-02-08). "Manny Gamburyan Forced Out of UFC 157; Chad Mendes Awaits New Opponent". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- Staff (2013-02-08). "With no opponent, Chad Mendes off next week's UFC 157 card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- Dann Stupp (February 12, 2013). "Chad Mendes meets Clay Guida at UFC on FOX 7". mmajunkie.com.
- Greg Savage (2013-03-15). "Clay Guida Injured, Out of Chad Mendes Fight at UFC on Fox 7". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Matt Erickson (March 19, 2013). "Darren Elkins steps in for Clay Guida, meets Chad Mendes at UFC on FOX 7". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on March 21, 2013. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- Mike Chiapetta (2013-04-20). "UFC on FOX 7 results: Chad Mendes stops Darren Elkins by TKO". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-04-20.
- Mookie Alexander (2013-05-22). "Chad Mendes vs. Clay Guida targeted for UFC 164". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- Dave Doyle (2013-08-31). "UFC 164 results: Chad Mendes becomes first fighter to TKO Clay Guida". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- Staff (2013-09-01). "UFC 164 bonuses: Pettis, Mendes, Lim, Krauss win $50,000". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Ariel Helwani (2013-09-17). "Chad Mendes vs. Nik Lentz booked for UFC on FOX 9". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Matt Erickson (2013-12-13). "UFC on FOX 9 results, photos: Chad Mendes wins fifth straight, tops Nik Lentz". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-13.
- Mookie Alexander (2014-05-04). "Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes 2 headlines UFC 176 in Los Angeles". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-05-04.
- Staff (2014-07-02). "Jose Aldo out of UFC 176 main event vs. Chad Mendes with injury". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-02.
- Brett Okamoto (2014-07-27). "Aldo-Mendes rematch set for Rio". espn.go.com. Retrieved 2014-07-27.
- Los Angeles Times (25 October 2014). "UFC 179: Jose Aldo beats Chad Mendes to retain featherweight title". latimes.com.
- Gene Mrosko (2014-10-26). "UFC 179 bonuses: Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes wins 'Fight of the Night' honors". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-10-26.
- 2014 World MMA Awards winners: Lawler, Rousey, Gastelum, McGregor, UFC. MMAjunkie (2015-01-31). Retrieved on 2016-12-30.
- Damon Martin (2015-01-18). "Chad Mendes vs. Ricardo Lamas headlines UFC Fight Night in Virginia". foxsports.com.com. Retrieved 2015-01-18.
- Elias Cepeda (2015-04-04). "Chad Mendes stuns, stops Ricardo Lamas in first round". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- Staff (2015-04-04). "UFC Fight Night 63 bonuses: Four get $50,000 for 'Performance of the Night' efforts". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-04.
- Ken Pishna (2015-05-18). "Chad Mendes Inks Lengthy New UFC Deal". mmaweekly.com.
- "Statement on UFC 189". ufc.com. 24 June 2015.
- Matt Erickson (2015-06-30). "Jose Aldo officially out of UFC 189; Chad Mendes meets Conor McGregor for interim belt". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-30.
- Thomas Myers (2015-07-12). "UFC 189 results: Conor McGregor finishes Chad Mendes after surviving two brutal rounds". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2015-07-12.
- Lucas Rezende (2015-08-25). "Frankie Edgar vs. Chad Mendes to headline TUF 22 Finale". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-12-12). "TUF 22 Finale results: Frankie Edgar lands first-round knockout bomb on Chad Mendes". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-12.
- Staff (2016-06-10). "UFC statement on Chad Mendes". ufc.com. Retrieved 2016-06-10.
- Mckeever, Lewis. (2016-06-19) Chad Mendes comments on potential USADA violation: 'I didn't do my homework'", by Lewis Mckeever. Bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved on 2016-12-30.
- Marc Raimondi (2016-07-20). "Chad Mendes gets two-year suspension from USADA for testing positive for PED". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-07-20.
- http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/1/30/14435592/submission-underground-3-results-tonon-glover-beaten-by-ufc-fighters. Missing or empty
- "Twitter". twitter.com.
- "American Elements: Chad Mendes". CarbonTV.com. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- Joe Johnson. "Chad Mendes now facing criminal charge". Hanford Sentinel.
- "Battery charges against Chad Mendes dropped as D.A. accepts no contest plea to public disturbance". MMAFighting.com. October 22, 2012. Retrieved October 22, 2012.
- "Jose Aldo and Chad Mendes produced 2014's Fight of the Year". ESPN.com.
- Tim Burke. "Bloody Elbow 2014 Year-End Awards – Results". Bloody Elbow.
- "MMAjunkie’s ‘Fight of the Year’ for 2014 – a rematch tops our list – MMAjunkie". MMAjunkie.
- "MMAjunkie’s ‘Fight of the Month’ for October 2014 (as if you didn’t know) – MMAjunkie". MMAjunkie.
- Official UFC Profile
- Chad Mendes Analysis
- Chad Mendes profile at the National Wrestling Hall of Fame
- American Elements: Chad Mendes". CarbonTV.com. Retrieved July 27, 2016.