|Length||Approx. 65 miles (105 km) One way|
|Season||January to February|
The Chadar Trek or the Zanskar Gorge trek is a winter trail over the frozen Zanskar River, which lies in the Indian union territory of Ladakh. It is traditionally the only means of travel in the area during the harsh winter months. The trail has become popular with foreign adventure tourists.
The overall distance is approximately 105 kilometres (65 mi) – an average trekker walks 16 kilometres (10 mi) per day.
Chadar trek starts from Chilling however with time the organisers tend to drive ahead to about 1 km away from the first camp at Tilad Sumdo (10,390 ft) or motorable Shingra Koma. Over the next days the trek moves to higher camps via Tsomo Paldar & Tibb cave to Nerak (11,150 ft). Nerak is the frozen waterfall and the return point of the trek, after this trekkers traverse back to the Shingra Koma starting point. There are other variations of the trek which go until Lingshed, while a bigger version goes to Padum over almost 14 days.
A road (Nimmu–Padam–Darcha road/ NPD Road, Nimmu is 35 KM from Leh on NH 1) is under construction by Border Roads Organization (BRO), under Ministry of Defense, to maintain year round connectivity between Leh and Zanskar (HQ- Padum) and is expected to complete in couple of years.[when?] The locals have been demanding this road, especially to answer medical emergencies during winter. The road construction has disturbed the local wildlife, primarily the snow leopard. It used to be its prime territory for the snow leopards in the winter, but now they dwell up higher in the valley.
Improvised Sledge on chadar
Indus and Zanskar confluence.
First night camp on a sandy beach opposite Bakulo cave
Clear day in Chadar
Porters are collecting drift wood for fire
Resting moments of chadar
Near Tibb camp
Wooden bridge at Nerak
- "Ban on Ladakh's Chadar Ice Trek". Outdoor Journal. 18 January 2015. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "Chadar Trek Ladakh". shikhar.com. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Chadar - The Frozen River Trek". Archived from the original on 18 August 2016.
- "AlienAdv- Ice trek on frozen Zanskar river". Archived from the original on 2 December 2015.
- "Department of Tourism, Jammu and Kashmir - Chadar Trek". Archived from the original on 1 April 2016. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Living the Ice Age dream | Chadar trek blog". TheFreeBird. 14 February 2018. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- All about the Chader trek, accessed 27 July 2023.
- "Zanskar Valley - Walking On Thin Ice".
- Mateusz Waligóra; Michał Dzikowski (13 April 2017), "Chadar, India: The end of the Ice Road – in pictures", The Guardian