1 South Compton Avenue|
St. Louis, Missouri 63103
|Owner||Saint Louis University|
|Operator||Spectra by Comcast Spectacor|
|Broke ground||August 28, 2006|
|Opened||April 10, 2008|
($91.5 million in 2017 dollars)
Sink Combs Dethlefs|
Mackey Mitchell Associates
|Structural engineer||Alper Audi, Inc.|
|General contractor||Clayco Construction|
|Saint Louis Billikens (NCAA Division I) (2008–present)|
Chaifetz Arena (// SHAY-fets), located on the campus of Saint Louis University, is a 10,600 seat multi-purpose arena in St. Louis, Missouri, that began construction on August 28, 2006 and opened on April 10, 2008.
As of the 2008-09 season, it is the official home of the Saint Louis University Billikens men's and women's basketball teams, replacing Scottrade Center (1994-2008), St. Louis Arena (1991–94), Kiel Auditorium (1934-1991), and the Bauman-Eberhardt Center (1920-1934), respectively. Additionally, the attached Chaifetz Pavilion includes a two-court basketball and volleyball practice facility that also serves as an 800-seat venue that is the home for the university's volleyball teams. The arena, known as "the Jewel of Midtown," includes a three-story athletic office. Chaifetz Arena has been called by former VCU coach Shaka Smart as the toughest venue to play in the Atlantic 10 Conference.
Men's basketball record at Chaifetz Arena
|Year||Conference record||Record overall||Winning Percentage||Head Coach||Average Attendance|
Barry Manilow performed the inaugural concert at Chaifetz Arena on April 25, 2008.
Saint Louis University held its first commencement ceremony on campus in 60 years at the arena on May 17, 2008. Fox Sports personality and native St. Louisan Joe Buck delivered the Commencement Address.
The first political rally at the Arena was on October 2, 2008, for Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin. She appeared to supporters after the 2008 Vice Presidential debate held at Washington University in St. Louis.
FIRST Robotics has held its St. Louis FRC Regional at Chaifetz Arena for several years.
American Idols Live! made its Chaifetz Arena debut in 2009, having previously been held at the Fox Theater (2002) and Family Arena (2003-2008). Chaifetz Arena also became the St. Louis stop for Champions on Ice and Cirque du Soleil, also in 2009.
The USA Gymnastics Championships occurred June 7–10, 2012 at the Chaifetz Arena.
Phish performed on August 28, 2012 as part of its 2012 Summer Tour.
Muse performed on March 8, 2013 on their 2nd Law tour. This was the band's fifth show in St. Louis.
TNA IMPACT WRESTLING was held here in September, 2013.
March 6, 2016 Bruce Springsteen performed to the largest sold-out crowd in the building's history with 10,247 sold tickets.
The 2016 Men's U.S. Olympic Trials and P&G Gymnastics Championships were held at Chaifetz Arena June 23–26, 2016. The 2018 SEC Gymnastics championships were held at the arena.
WWE will hold its first show there on July 21, 2018.
- Chaifetz Arena - SLUBillikens.com
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Community Development Project. "Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–". Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- Johnson, Kevin C. (April 10, 2013). "Chaifetz Arena Celebrates 5th Anniversary". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- Allen, Matt. "Clayco, Mackey Mitchell finish SLU's Chaifetz Arena," St. Louis Business Journal, March 9, 2008.
- Durando, Stu (October 14, 2014). "SLU Notes: SLU's Glaze Out with Dislocated Shoulder". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- MyFox St. Louis | New Chaifetz Arena Opens With Globetrotters Archived 2013-01-29 at Archive.is
- Palin Supporters in St. Louis Hold VP Debate Watch Party | ksdk.com | St. Louis, MO