Chain Saw Confidential
|Subject||The Texas Chain Saw Massacre|
|Published||2013, Chronicle Books|
|Media type||Print, e-book, audiobook|
Chain Saw Confidential: How We Made the World’s Most Notorious Horror Movie is a 2013 non-fiction book by the actor Gunnar Hansen, who is best known for portraying Leatherface in the 1974 film The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. The book was first released on September 24, 2013 through Chronicle Books and covers the making of the iconic slasher film.
Chain Saw Confidential covers the making of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, as well as its release, reception, and marketing. It goes into depth into the film as well as into Hansen's life. The material in the book is taken from several interviews from many of the cast and crew members. The final third of the book looks into the fan reception for the movie and its legacy on the film world.
Hansen began work on Chain Saw Confidential after he was approached by various publishers interested in him writing an autobiography. He disliked the idea of someone writing the book about him and expressed that he would rather write about the making of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Another impetus for the book's creation was that several of the cast and crew members had died, making it impossible to gain their perspectives on the film. While gathering material for the book, Hansen tried to interview as many people as possible to get their perspectives. As a result, Hansen received about "100,000 words of transcribed interviews, just for the parts I knew were going to serve the book". Hansen also drew from an earlier autobiography he had written about twenty years prior for his own personal use.
Critical reception for Chain Saw Confidential was predominantly positive. Dread Central gave the book five out of five blades, stating that it "should be on EVERY Texas Chain Saw Massacre fan’s bookshelf, and even horror fans in general who might not be fans of the film should at least check the book out." Starburst magazine also gave a favorable review, echoing the same statements.
- Bray, Christopher. "Book Review: 'Chain Saw Confidential' by Gunnar Hansen". WSJ. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "'Texas Chainsaw' memoir: Gunnar 'Leatherface' Hansen speaks!". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Leatherface actor Gunnar Hansen on slasher past, ‘Chain Saw’ memoir". LAT. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Gingold, Michael. "Gunnar Hansen updates us on "CHAIN SAW CONFIDENTIAL"". Fangoria. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "‘Chainsaw Massacre’ villain, Maine resident Gunnar Hansen sets record straight in new book". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "COLUMN: Aaron’s Backstage Pass: 'Chain Saw Confidential' Book Review". KSTP. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- "Chain Saw Confidential (review)". Dread Central. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Pierce, Robin. "Book Review: CHAIN SAW CONFIDENTIAL". Starburst Magazine. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
|This article about a non-fiction book on film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|