Chairman of Committees (New Zealand House of Representatives)
The Chairman of Committees was an elected position of the New Zealand House of Representatives. The role existed between 1854 and 1992. The roles of the Chairman of Committees were to deputise for the Speaker, and to chair the House when it was in committee. The role is now carried out by the Deputy Speaker. The role of Chairman of Committees also existed for the Legislative Council.
The position was established during the first session of the 1st New Zealand Parliament. Parliament first convened on 24 May 1854, and on 21 June of that year, Auckland lawyer Frederick Merriman was elected as its first Chairman of Committees. The role also existed for the Legislative Council, was established in 1865 and first held by Mathew Richmond.
The chief role of the Chairman of Committees was to chair the House when it was in committee (i.e., considering a bill at committee stage) or preside in the absence of the Speaker or when the Speaker so requested. These arrangements were based on those of the House of Commons of the United Kingdom.
Until 1992, the Chairman of Committees was known as the Deputy Speaker only when presiding over the House. That year, the position of Deputy Speaker was made official under the Standing Orders, and the role of Chairman of Committees was discontinued. The first Deputy Speaker was appointed on 10 November 1992.
|No.||Name||Portrait||Term start and end dates||Parliament|
|1||Frederick Merriman||21 June 1854||15 September 1855||1st|
|2||Hugh Carleton||17 April 1856||5 November 1860||2nd|
|11 June 1861||27 January 1866||3rd|
|4 July 1866||30 December 1870||4th|
|3||Maurice O'Rorke1||16 August 1871||23 October 1872||5th|
|4||Arthur Seymour||16 July 1873||14 May 1875|
|(3)||Maurice O'Rorke||21 July 1875||6 December 1875|
|28 June 1876||11 July 1879||6th|
|(4)||Arthur Seymour||16 July 1879||15 August 1879|
|26 September 1879||8 November 1881||7th|
|5||Ebenezer Hamlin||30 May 1882||27 June 1884||8th|
|5 September 1884||15 July 1887||9th|
|13 October 1887||3 October 1890||10th|
|6||Westby Perceval||23 June 1891||15 September 1891||11th|
|7||William Lee Rees||18 September 1891||11 July 1893|
|8||Arthur Guinness1||13 July 1893||8 November 1893|
|10 July 1894||14 November 1896||12th|
|9 April 1897||15 November 1899||13th|
|3 July 1900||5 November 1902||14th|
|9||John A. Millar||2 July 1903||15 November 1905||15th|
|10||Roderick McKenzie||31 August 1906||29 October 1908||16th|
|11||Thomas Wilford||12 June 1909||8 July 1910||17th|
|12||James Colvin||23 August 1910||20 November 1911|
|13||Frederic Lang1||2 August 1912||26 June 1913||18th|
|14||Alexander Malcolm||4 July 1913||20 November 1914|
|7 July 1915||27 November 1919||19th|
|15 July 1920||30 November 1922||20th|
|15||Alexander Young||24 July 1923||14 October 1925||21st|
|16||Frank Hockly||2 July 1926||18 October 1928||22nd|
|17||Sydney George Smith||11 December 1928||28 May 1930||23rd|
|18||William Bodkin||27 June 1930||27 October 1931|
|(17)||Sydney George Smith||27 October 1931||12 November 1931|
|26 February 1932||12 February 1935||24th|
|19||Jimmy Nash||13 February 1935||1 November 1935|
|20||Ted Howard||1 April 1936||20 September 1938||25th|
|21||Robert McKeen1||29 June 1939||30 August 1943||26th|
|1 March 1944||4 November 1946||27th|
|22||Clyde Carr||24 June 1947||3 November 1949||28th|
|23||Cyril Harker||29 June 1950||27 July 1951||29th|
|28 September 1951||5 October 1954||30th|
|30 March 1955||29 October 1957||31st|
|24||Reginald Keeling||22 January 1958||31 October 1960||32nd|
|25||Roy Jack1||23 June 1961||29 October 1963||33rd|
|12 June 1964||25 October 1966||34th|
|26||John Hannibal George||28 April 1967||28 October 1969||35th|
|27||Alfred E. Allen1||13 March 1970||7 June 1972||36th|
|28||Richard Harrison1||8 June 1972||26 October 1972|
|29||Ron Bailey||16 February 1973||10 September 1974||37th|
|30||Jonathan Hunt1||17 September 1974||30 October 1975|
|(28)||Richard Harrison1||24 June 1976||9 May 1978||38th|
|31||Jack Luxton||12 May 1978||26 October 1978|
|18 May 1979||29 October 1981||39th|
|8 April 1982||15 June 1984||40th|
|32||John Terris||17 August 1984||1987||41st|
|1988||10 September 1990||42nd|
1 Also served as Speaker
- Scholefield 1950, p. 68.
- Scholefield 1950, p. 151.
- Scholefield 1950, p. 89.
- McLintock 1966.
- "Members' Conditions Of Service". New Zealand Parliament. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- "Speaker of House of Representatives and Chairman of Committees". Knowledge Basket New Zealand. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- "Speaker of the House of Representatives". New Zealand Parliament. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- Wilson 1985, pp. 251–252.
- Refer to the talk page for Chairmen post–1984
- Hancock, Mervyn (December 2005). "George Hamish Ormond Wilson : Member of Parliament for Palmerston North 1960–67" (PDF). Palmerston North Library. p. 375. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
- A. H. McLintock, ed. (1966). "Meeting of Parliament". An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand (updated 22 April 2009 ed.). Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- Scholefield, Guy (1950) [First ed. published 1913]. New Zealand Parliamentary Record, 1840–1949 (3rd ed.). Wellington: Govt. Printer.
- Wilson, James Oakley (1985) [First ed. published 1913]. New Zealand Parliamentary Record, 1840–1984 (4th ed.). Wellington: V.R. Ward, Govt. Printer. OCLC 154283103.