Chairman of the Board (film)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Chairman of the Board|
|Directed by||Alex Zamm|
Peter M. Lenkov
|Music by||Chris Hajian|
|Edited by||Jimmy Hill|
|Distributed by||Trimark Pictures|
|March 13, 1998|
Chairman of the Board is a 1998 comedy film directed by Alex Zamm, starring Courtney Thorne-Smith and Carrot Top. In the film, a surfer and inventor named Edison inherits and runs a billionaire's company. It was poorly received by both critics and audiences and is regarded as one of the worst films ever made.
Edison (Carrot Top) is a poor, failed inventor and surf bum, but soon runs into and befriends wealthy business magnate Armand McMillan (Jack Warden). When Armand passes away shortly thereafter, he leaves Edison the majority of shares in his large invention corporation, and leaves his jealous nephew, his only living relative, Bradford (Larry Miller) only a surfboard. Bradford attempts to derail Edison's success by stealing his formula for non-toxic glow in the dark gunk and sharing it with a consumer who covers himself in it and alleges that Edison's prize invention—a portable TV/TV dinner combo leaks radiation. When Edison reveals the truth (and proves it with another invention), the company is saved, Bradford is arrested, Grace Kosik made a deal with the company and she will testify against Brandford, and Edison appoints his girlfriend Natalie Stockwell (Courtney Thorne-Smith) to run the company.
- Carrot Top – Edison
- Courtney Thorne-Smith – Natalie Stockwell
- Larry Miller – Bradford McMillan
- Raquel Welch – Grace Kosik
- Mystro Clark – Ty
- Jack Plotnick – Zak
- Jack Warden – Armand McMillan
- Estelle Harris – Ms. Krubavitch
- Bill Erwin – Landers
- M. Emmet Walsh – Freemont
- Jack McGee – Harlan Granger
- Glenn Shadix – Larry
- Fred Stoller – Toby, McMillan Gate Guard
- Taylor Negron – Mr Withermeyer
- Jack Riley – Condom Boss
- Rance Howard – Rev. Hatley
- Mark Kriski – Newscaster
- Cindy Margolis – Tennis Instructor
- Butterbean – Museum Security Guard
- Little Richard – Himself
Chairman of the Board has received negative reviews, currently holding a Rotten Tomatoes approval rating of 13%.
Jim Carrey was the first choice for the role of Edison. He then dropped out after he read the script, knowing that the movie would have been a failure.
During a promotional appearance for the film on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, Thorne-Smith was the second guest after comedian Norm Macdonald, who frequently interrupted Thorne-Smith's attempt to promote the movie with jokes about Carrot Top and the movie failing at the box office, going so far as to say that the film's title should be "Box Office Poison", and claimed the title is spelled "Chairman of the Bored". This led to the apparent surprise and amusement of O'Brien, the audience, and even Thorne-Smith. This interview was selected as a top moment from Late Night in several compilation episodes and specials. 
Awards and nominations
|Golden Raspberry Awards||Worst New Star||Carrot Top||Nominated|
|Worst Supporting Actress||Raquel Welch||Nominated|
- "norm saves the interview". Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- "YouTube: Courtney Thorne-Smith and Norm Macdonald on Conan in 1997". Retrieved 2018-06-04.
- Nelson, Michael J. "Inoperable Humor: The 5 Worst Comedies of All Time". Cracked. Retrieved 2007-03-26.
- "IMDb Charts: IMDb Bottom 100". Retrieved March 14, 2012.