Chairperson, Central Board of Direct Taxes
|Chairperson, Central Board of Direct Taxes of Government of India
सीबीडीटी के अध्यक्ष
Emblem of India
|Residence||North Block, Secretariat Building, New Delhi|
|Appointer||Finance Minister of India|
|Inaugural holder||Jamuna Pd Singh|
|Succession||Anita Kapoor I.R.S|
The Chairperson, CBDT is the senior-most IRS civil servant in the Government of India. The Chairperson of Central Board of Direct Taxes is the ex officio Special Secretary to the Government of India and also cadre controlling authority of the Indian Revenue Service.
Though there is no fixed tenure, the average tenure of the chairman has been less than 2 years. His tenure however, can be extended.
The CBDT Chairperson is ex-officio special secretary and is under the direct charge of the revenue secretary of India. He is placed above the officers of the rank of Lieutenant-General, Vice-Admiral or Air Marshal, CBI Director and Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General in the Order of Precedence.
The following are the functions of the Chairman:
- Administrative planning of the IT Department.
- Act as advisor and conscience keeper of the IRS.
- Handle senior appointments.
- Transfers and postings of officers in the cadre of Chief Commissioner of Income-tax and Commissioner of Income-tax.
- Matters dealt with in the Foreign Tax and Tax Research Division, except matters under Section 80-O of the Income-tax Act, 1961.
- Ensure that the Cabinet decisions are implemented
- Advise the Finance Minister of India.
- All matters relating to Central and Regional Direct Taxes Advisory Committees and Consultative Committee of the Parliament.
- Public Grievances.
- Provide an element of continuity and stability to administration during crises.
- Poonam Kishore Saxena new CBDT chairman - Economic Times
- Official website of the department of revenue, Government of India
- Income Tax India
- IRS: CBDT Chairman, Members and their Contact Details
- CBEC, CBDT to chart plan to recover Kingfisher Airlines dues - The Times of India the chairman of CBDT