Tamhane at the trailer launch of Court, 2015
1 March 1987|
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Occupation||Writer, Producer, Director|
Chaitanya Tamhane (born 1 March 1987) is an Indian filmmaker, known for the 2014 courtroom drama Court. It was announced as India's official submission for the 88th Academy Awards in the Best Foreign Language Film category. The film examines the Indian legal system through the trial of an aging folk singer in a lower court in Mumbai.
Court is Tamhane's directorial debut for a feature length film. His previous work includes the short film Six Strands, of which he was also the writer and director, as well as producer. For Court, Tamhane was nominated for best screenwriter at the 9th Asian Film Awards and won best director at the 16th Mumbai Film Festival, among many other awards and honors.
- Best Film Court at Buenos Aires International Festival of Independent Cinema, 2015.
- Best Asian Feature Film, Court at Singapore International Film Festival, Silver Screen Awards 2014
- "Court is India's official entry for Oscars". Indian Express. 23 September 2015. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- Bhushan, Nyay (24 September 2015). "Oscars: India Selects 'Court' For Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 24 September 2015.
- Bhushan, Nyay. India's Court wins at Mumbai Film Festival. Published 21 October 2014. Retrieved on 17 February 2015.
- "'Court' gets triple win at Buenos Aires film fest". Indian Express. Indo-Asian News Service. 27 April 2015. Retrieved 24 September 2015.