|District||Cox's Bazar District|
|• Total||643.46 km2 (248.44 sq mi)|
|• Density||636/km2 (1,650/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+6 (BST)|
|Website||bazar/Chakaria.gif Official Map of Chakaria|
Chakaria (Bengali: চকরিয়া) is an Upazila of Cox's Bazar District in the Division of Chittagong, Bangladesh. Chakaria Upazila (cox's bazar district) with an area of 643.46 km2, is bounded by Lohagara, Banshkhali and Lama upazilas on the north, Cox's Bazar sadar, and ramu upazilas on the south, Lama and naikhongchhari upazilas on the east, maheshkhali and kutubdia upazila on the west. The upazila is surrounded by the Matamuhuri, Bara Matamuhuri, Maheshkhali and Kutubdia Channel. The upazila more often fall victim to cyclone and tidal bore. The devastating cyclone and tidal bore of 29 April 1991 caused serious damage to the upazila with a death toll of 16705 persons.
- 1 Geography
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Chakaria Town
- 4 Administration
- 5 Union Parishads
- 6 Archaeological Heritage
- 7 Historical Events
- 8 Marks of War of Liberation
- 9 Religious Institutions
- 10 Old Institutions
- 11 Newspapers and Periodicals
- 12 Cultural Organizations Club
- 13 See also
- 14 References
- 15 External links
Chakoria is located at. It has 63671 households and a total area of 643.46 km². Once there was a mangrove forest named Chakaria Sunderban here. But now it is no more.
According to the 1991 Bangladesh census, Chakaria had a population of 409, 346. Males constituted 51.87% of the population, and females 48.13%.
Chakaria Town consists of 9 wards.5 no (khariaghona & khahariaghona) ward is a big of them and 22 mahallas with an area of 2.95 km2.The town is known as " CHIRINGA " . It has a population of 50716; male 52.64%, female 47.36%. The literacy rate among town people is 34.5%. It has three dak bungalows.
Chakaria thana was constituted in 1793 and was turned into an Upazila in 1983. It consists of 17 union parishads, one municipality, 64 mouzas, and 340 villages.
- [Khutakhali ] Union Parishad
- Badarkhali Union Parishad
- Barawtali Union Parishad
- Bheola Manik Char Union Parishad
- Bomobilchari Union Parishad
- Chiringa Union Parishad
- Dulhazara Union Parishad
- Purba Barabheola Union Parishad
- Fasiakhali Union Parishad
- Harbang Union Parishad
- Kakara Union Parishad
- Kaiarbil Union Parishad
- Lakhyarchar Union Parishad
- Saharbil Union Parishad
- Paschim Bara Bheola Union Parishad
- Dhemoshia Union Parishad
- Konakhali Union Parishad
- Surajpur-Manikpur Union Parishad
- Ziddabazar union
Tomb of Shah Umar, Sat-gumbad Masjid of Fazl Quke at Manikpur (1873), Hasher Dighi, Bir Kamla Dighi, Dolhazara Safari Park, Chawarfari Mangrove Forest.
During the war of liberation in 1971, the Pak army killed 13 villagers by gunshot and burnt more than one hundred houses and shops in different places of the upazila.
Marks of War of Liberation
Shaheed Abdul Hamid memorial monument.
Mosque 500, temple 99, church 3, pagoda 16, mazar 6.
Educational institutions in the Upazila include:
- Manikpur Burmese Government Primary School (1828),
- Harbang Government Primary School (1884),
- Kaharia Ghona Government Primary School(1914),
- Pekua Government Primary School (1918),
- Chakaria Government High School (1919),
- Saharbil Anwarul Ulum Senior Madrasa (1918),
- Illishia Jamila Begum High School (1945),
- Chakoria pre cadet grammar School (1998)
- Quality Computer Chakaria (2000),
- Computer Tech-IT Solution Malumghat (2016).Shah Alam Vobon (2000)
- Chakaria Korak Biddayapith (1990)
- Chakaria Cambrian School (2011)
Newspapers and Periodicals
Weekly Chakori, fortnightly Mehdi.
Cultural Organizations Club
52, literary organization 3, women's organization 22, theatre party 2, playground 50.
Main Exports Shrimp, salt, tobacco, groundnut, mustard seed, flour, watermelon, timber.coastal Fish.