Frankfurt am Main, Germany
|Education||University of California at Berkeley|
|Alma mater||University of Texas School of Public Health|
Barbara Jordan Media Award |
Chalda Maloff (born 1946, Frankfurt am Main, Germany) is an author and contemporary artist raised in the United States. Her artwork has been exhibited throughout North and South America and in Europe. She has received awards from the Butler Institute of American Art, the Visual Arts Society of Texas, and other arts institutions. She has authored two books, including Business and Social Etiquette with Disabled People (1988). She received the Barbara Jordan Media Award, sponsored by the Texas Governor's Office in 1988.
Early life and education
The daughter of Tania Maloff and Sasha Maloff, she grew up in California attending the Castilleja School and later in Nevada. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in Art History and a Master of Science in Computer Science from the University of California at Berkeley, and a Doctorate in Human Ecology from the University of Texas School of Public Health. She is married to Russell Zears.
Maloff’s aesthetic style is characterized by geometric compositions, the illusion of back lighting, transparencies, and spatial ambiguity. She has worked in various artistic media, including aquatint, ceramics, oils, and acrylics. However, since 2002 she has devoted herself almost entirely to the medium of digital painting.
Her work has been exhibited in several solo exhibitions, including a show in August 2007 at the Thomas Knight Gallery in California, in 2010 in Virtuous Realities at the Jung Center in Texas, and also in 2014 at Mill and Leaf in the Arboretum in Austin, TX.
In 2008 her work was included in the inaugural exhibit of the Museum of Computer Art in New York City.
Maloff is a member of Ceres Gallery, an artist-run organization in New York City dedicated to the promotion of contemporary women in the arts.
Chalda Maloff is the author of Business and Social Etiquette with Disabled People. The book has been credited in several publications such as Living with Disabilities: 6 Volume Basic Manuals for Friends of the Disabled by Hannah Carlson and Dale Bick Carlson. Maloff’s book was also reviewed in the Houston Chronicle, Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness, the Houston Business Journal, and Successful Meetings. Maloff's publication was endorsed by the National Easter Seals (U.S.) Society and dozens of other national institutions for disability advocacy. From the entertainment community, the book was endorsed by musician George Shearing, and actor Raymond Burr. The foreword was written by singer Mel Tillis.
Maloff is also the author of a graduate level textbook entitled Computers in Nutrition that has been referenced in the Journal of Parenteral & Enteral Nutrition, and a seminal article on computer music composition and performance, The Fourth B, published in SIGART, a publication for the Association for Computing Machinery (Issue 54).
In 1981, Chalda Maloff published a paper entitled, A Study of the Relationship Between Self-Assessment and Clinical Evaluation of Hearing Status on the study of the relationship between self-assessment and clinical evaluation of the hearing status.
- LAREDO MORNING TIMES; 9/6/2008, Digital Artist Bursts Ahead, By Nick Georgiou, EL MANANA Jueves, 06 de Agosto de 2009, Cautivan con arte digital y de tensión urbana, Por: Israel Granger
- Greater Houston Weekly, All The Best – Chalda Maloff Exhibits New Digital Paintings at Jung Center, by Nancy Wozny 01/18/10
- The Eureka Reporter, Living in the Digital Age: Morris Graves to display the computerized work of Texan artist Chalda Maloff, by Wendy Butler 08/02/08
- Washington Post, Sensitivity Can Salvage Touchy Situations, by Edward A. Eckenhoff, 09/27/88, A review of Business and Social Etiquette with Disabled People.
- San Francisco Chronicle, Just Common Sense 10/16/88 by Beverly Slapin, A review of Business and Social Etiquette with Disabled People.
- Dallas Fine Arts Examiner, Artist Interview Chalda Maloff, by Sonia Semone October 1, 2009
- Art in America, Artist Index, Aug14, Vol. 102, No 7, p245
- "Barbara Jordan Media Awards Past winners" (PDF).
- "UT alum to premiere new art exhibit at Austin's Mill and Leaf Gallery". 2014-11-30. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- Maloff, Chalda (13 September 1996). "RUSSELL W ZEARS married CHALDA I MALOFF".
- Dowling, Dar. "Search Engines: New Digital Paintings by Chalda Maloff". modernnyc.com. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "2007 Exhibitions: Dancing in the Rain by Chalda Maloff July 26 - September 9 Thomas Knight Gallery". Humboldt Arts Council. Retrieved May 27, 2016.
- "Around Town". Houston House & Home: 12. February 2010.
- Gibson, Emily. "UT alum to premiere new art exhibit at Austin's Mill and Leaf Gallery". Daily Texan. Retrieved 30 November 2014.
- Colina, Israel (November 2009). "El Salón de Arte Digital exhibió la Exposición Imagen Digital 2009" (PDF). p. 2. Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- "MOCA: Museum of Computer Art International Digital Art Show - Inaugural Exhibit". Retrieved January 28, 2013.
- Dale Carlson, Hannah Carlson, M.Ed., CRC (2000). Living with Disabilities: 6 Volume Basic Manuals for Friends of the Disabled (SECOND ed.). McNaughton & Gunn, Inc. p. 331. ISBN 1-884158-15-3.
- Myler, Kathleen (September 1988). "Guide covers interacting with disabled in business". Houston Chronicle.
- Winer, M. (October 1989). "Review". Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness.
- Miller, Doug (September 1988). "Authors offer pointers for disabled workers". Houston Business Journal.
- Hosansky, Mel (October 1988). "On Handicapped Etiquette". Successful Meetings.
- Maloff, Chalda (1987). Business and social etiquette with disabled people. Springfield, Ill.: Charles C. Thomas Publisher. p. 143. ISBN 978-0-398-05463-2.
- Danford, M.P.H., R.D., D.Sc., Darla Erhard. "Computer Applications to Medical Nutrition Problems". Journal of Parenteral & Enteral Nutrition / An International Journal of Nutrition and Metabolic Support. Thomson Reuters. Retrieved August 18, 2015.
- Maloff, Chalda, Zears, Russell W. (October 1975). "The fourth B". ACM SIGART Bulletin (54): 11–12.
- Maloff, Chalda (November 1982). "A STUDY OF THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN SELF-ASSESSMENT AND CLINICAL EVALUATION OF HEARING STATUS": 14–19.