Chalk n Duster
|Chalk n Duster 2016|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jayant Gilatar|
|Produced by||Amin Surani|
Ranjeev Verma |
|Music by||Sandesh Shandilya|
|Edited by||Santosh Mandal|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Networks India|
Chalk n Duster is a 2016 Indian drama film about commercialization of the Indian private education system, starring Juhi Chawla, Shabana Azmi, Zarina Wahab, Girish Karnad and Divya Dutta. The film talks about teachers' and students' communication, and highlights the problem of teachers and students in an educational system which is changing day by day.
The film was made tax free in the North Indian belt.
The film is the emotional journey of two teachers Vidya (Shabana Azmi) and Jyoti (Juhi Chawla) who is serving at a Mumbai–based high school. Their passion and love for teaching bonds them in a special relationship with their students. Their gratification is good grades and the moral values they strive to impart to students. However, in an evil turn of events, a wicked lady, Kamini Gupta (Divya Dutta), is appointed as the principal, thus changing the fate of the administration.
Vidya is one of the senior staff members at this fair to middling educational institution, which has thus far functioned smoothly. Everything changes with the appointment of the new principal. The teachers face unpleasant surprises when the popular and considerate Indu (Zarina Wahab) is replaced by the ambitious and cut-throat Kamini, who aspires to upscale this middle-class school. Teachers' chairs are removed from the classrooms, the tea is no longer free and subjects are juggled so that, for example, the overweight Hindi teacher is now assigned physical training.
All of this is too much for the good-hearted Vidya, who suffers a heart attack after a sudden and unfair dismissal. In solidarity, her friend and colleague Jyoti decides to take on Kamini and the misdirected board of trustees, led by Anmol (Arya Babbar). This entails using a TV channel as a platform for reminding viewers that teachers need support, recognition and more pay.
The drama ends with a recovered Vidya and Jyoti taking on a Who Wants to Be A Millionaire-style quiz to win Rs.5 crore. The trade-off is that if they lose, they will have to accept their termination. Vidya and Jyoti use their talents and win the quiz battle. Unwillingly, the trustee Anmol signs the bank cheque of 5 crore rupees. The principal Kamini apologizes to Vidya and Jyoti publicly through over the TV show. At the end, Vidya reveals that she will be handing over the money to former principal Indu to build a school where no teacher will be discriminated against and students will have a good education for less cost.
- Juhi Chawla as Jyoti Thakur
- Shabana Azmi as Vidya, a maths teacher
- Divya Dutta as Kamini Gupta, Principal of Kantaben High School
- Upasna Singh as Manjeet, teacher
- Girish Karnad
- Zarina Wahab as Indu Shastry
- Sameer Soni
- Aarya Babbar
- Adi Irani
- Rishi Kapoor (special appearance)
- Jackie Shroff
- Richa Chaddha
- Karan Singh Chhabra
- Kabir Arora
- Akshita Arora
- Gavie Chahal
- Naveen Sharma
- Ranjeev verma
- Neetu verma
- Jasbir Thandi
- Deepali Pansare
Initiatives - Chalk N Duster
It is an initiative by IIT and IIM graduates which very much resonates with the message of this film and aims to solve the problems related with education in India. It is a chain of model learning centers on a mission to provide quality, accessible and affordable education by integrating pedagogy and technology.
|1.||"Aye Zindagi"||Sonu Nigam|
|2.||"Deep Shiksha"||Alka Yagnik|
|3.||"Jingle Bodmas"||Shabana Azmi|
- "Chalk N Duster review: It's a well told ethics versus greed story". hindutsan times. 15 January 2016.
- Bollywood Hungama. "Rishi Kapoor to do a cameo in Juhi Chawla, Shabana Azmi starrer Chalk N Duster". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Chalk N Duster - Official Trailer".
- CHALK N DUSTER - Official Trailer - Shabana Azmi, Juhi Chawla - Releasing 15th Jan, 2016. 20 December 2015 – via YouTube.
- "'Chalk N Duster' within mainstream cinema: Shabana Azmi". The Indian Express. 25 October 2015.
- "'Chalk N Duster' will make you clap for your teachers: Juhi Chawla". The Indian Express. 15 September 2015.
- "Rishi Kapoor to Make a Guest Appearance in Chalk N Duster - NDTV Movies". NDTVMovies.com.
- "Review: Chalk N Duster has good intent but clumsy execution". Rediff. 15 January 2016.
- "'Chalk & Duster' review: One of the most forgettable films this year". IBNLive.
- "Chalk N' Duster review: Nothing rescues this Juhi Chawla, Shabana Azmi film". The Indian Express. 15 January 2016.
- "'Chalk N Duster' made tax-free in Bihar Delhi, Rajasthan, UP". The Indian Express. 15 January 2016.